U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 03:21 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,503,182 times

Advertisements

We just rented a house that has a septic system. This is new to me, in Omaha, Nebraska its rare to see a house with septic, we all use sewer lines.

So, what do I need to do special for this? We are not responsible for any upkeep with it, but the realtor did tell us we will need to use septic safe toilet paper and not to use bleach products. How do you bleach your towels or items if you cannot wash with bleach?

Anything else I need to know? Do you have to use certain dishwashing soap or certain laundry soap? Anything like that?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:35 PM

5,340 posts, read 5,629,788 times
I am on septic and I simply don't use bleach. I use a natural laundry detergent that is [supposedly] safe for septic systems. Look at the labels. Also, use Rid-Ex once a month.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 PM

16,914 posts, read 36,689,431 times
Absolutely NO bleach, and nothing down the septic except your toilet paper.

Also, depending on the size and condition of the septic and drainfield, try not to overload it, like doing several loads of laundry, dishes, etc at one time, you can flood your drainfield.

Overall, it's not much different than being on sewer - we lived on septic for 10 years.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:40 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,159,808 times
No oil or grease from the kitchen either . You shouldn't do that anyway .

Old 06-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I am on septic and I simply don't use bleach. I use a natural laundry detergent that is [supposedly] safe for septic systems. Look at the labels. Also, use Rid-Ex once a month.
What is that? Is it expensive? Our landlord didnt say we had to do any upkeep with the septic at all.

And yeah, we put our grease left overs into old spaghetti jars and the like and just toss when they're half full.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM

16,914 posts, read 36,689,431 times
It's not really necessary to use Rid-X at all, we never did, but it doesn't hurt. It's not expensive.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 PM

5,340 posts, read 5,629,788 times
All the septic companies I have used have recommended Rid-Ex, so I figure it's worth taking the precaution. It contains an enzyme that helps break down the waste. It's only a few dollars a month. You can buy it in powder or liquid form (the liquid is easier to flush) at HOme Depot or Lowes. I can sometimes get it at grocery stores and pharmacies in areas where may homes have septic systems. I know you aren't responsible for upkeep but I figure a septic backup is not something anyone would want regardless of whether you are responsible for fixing it. As gyphysic notes I'm sure many don't use it and have no problems, but since every septic person I have used has indicated it's agood idea, I figure it's worth the small cost.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Ah if its that cheap, then yeah, if the landlord says its OK i probably will add that. I do use regular brand laundry detergent due to some allergies I have to perfumes, but I will eventually be switching to cloth diaper safe "natural" laundry detergents - so hopefully that will help.

But, in the mean time you can still use regular laundry detergents correct? Just not bleach in laundry?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 31,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
All the septic companies I have used have recommended Rid-Ex, so I figure it's worth taking the precaution.
That's funny because our septic company does not recommend Rid-Ex but offers a much lower cost alternative which doesn't need to be done as often.

I do use bleach but I have a front loading washer so it doesn't use as much bleach. I do bleach my tile floors when I wash them though. I do not use the garbage disposal. I was told grease and specifically meat products cause a lot of trouble. Scotts TP is known to be septic safe although others are advertising to be safe on their packaging now as well. Tampons should also not be flushed. Trees should not be planted near the tank or the leechfield. Depending on the size of the system and the amount of people in the home the tank should be pumped every 3 years or can be adjusted based on the recommendation of the pumping company. Because I use bleach my solids don't break down as much (not as much good bacteria gets to grow) so 3 years is my suggested limit.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM

74 posts, read 279,914 times
I grew up with a septic tank and am in the process of selling a house with a septic tank (lived here 6 years) and I've ALWAYS used bleach. Never heard you shouldn't. We've also never checked for "special" toilet paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House