Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,900 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've probably annoyed everyone with the amount of questions that I've had on upgrading my house but this is my first time buying a new house and there's a lot more to think about than with an existing one!

I have the option of having either a built-in microwave or a range hood in my kitchen (the stove is gas and is in the kitchen counter area, not the island area). What makes more sense? I have 2 microwaves so I have no lack of them but using one would take up counter space (not a huge kitchen but not tiny). When I see luxury kitchens in magazines, they tend to have a range hood but there are probably built-in microwaves somewhere in the kitchen, too. My thought is that the built-in microwave probably makes more sense but what does everyone else think? I have attached a picture of what the kitchen would look like as far as dimensions and layout go.Built-in-microwave vs. range hood-50-590-442-1-.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,129 times
IMO counter space would be more desirable than having a range hood. The built in look I think is much cleaner than opposed to a somewhat cluttered counter.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I'd go with the micro above the stove- if that's your kitchen, you don't want to lose 2' of counterspace to the microwave.

More importantly, whether you go with the micro or the hood, see if you can get it vented to the exterior. The recirculating units just suck the air through a thin filter and then spit it back in your face when you're at the stove. They don't remove any of the heat, humidity or scents from cooking, and even the amount of grease they filter leaves something to be desired.

Bob

Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
I would consider safety. If you and the people in your home are tall enough to safely reach things in the microwave and able bodied enough to lift them in an out safely, go for the built in microwave. If you have or are going to have kids that will be able to use the microwave, will you feel comfortable with them lifting things so high -- over the stove? If kids are an issue, go for the range hood. I think you can make either choice and have an attractive kitchen, so I would look at what is most practical and safe for you and the people who will use your kitchen.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
I would do (and have) the built in micro with a vent to the outside much cleaner looking!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:36 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I would do (and have) the built in micro with a vent to the outside much cleaner looking!
Ok, I think that the microwave definitely sounds like the way to go. Also, I was told that I can vent the microwave to the outside for an extra $500. Is that worth it? (I cook every day and do a lot of wok cooking).

Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Especially with the oil/spatter that you could generate with wok cooking (as well as the steam), I'd say the extra $500 is well worth it.

Bob

Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Ok, I think that the microwave definitely sounds like the way to go. Also, I was told that I can vent the microwave to the outside for an extra $500. Is that worth it? (I cook every day and do a lot of wok cooking).
Most definitely worth it. As Bob stated with the steam, splatter, etc.... you will be glad that you did.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:35 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
$500 seems kind of steep, but when you are spending hundreds of thousands on a house, does $500 really matter? I would absolutely say that it is worth the money to have it vented. If it's on an inside wall, I can see why it's that expensive.

Let's think about some other issues though. The first was already mentioned.
Reaching above a hot stove is dangerous. It's also less convenient for two cooks at once.
Think about all of the times that the vent won't be turned on, and you are cooking. That heat and moisture will travel up into the electronics of your microwave. That brings me to the third issue. What will you do when the microwave finally craps out. Models and sizes change every year. It will be difficult to replace it with the exact same thing. It will also be very expensive. You will most likely get frustrated, leave the dead one there, and put the 80 dollar replacement on the counter. I've seen this happen more than once.

My stove is vented outside. My microwave is on the opposite side of the kitchen, next to the fridge. It has a shelf built into the upper cabinets. There's no wasted counterspace, yet it's easy enough to replace. I'm on my third one in seven years. I have to be careful what size I buy, but it's still easier than an above stove replacement.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 PM

45 posts, read 391,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I've read some of your posts and man is your builder nickel and dimeing you. Why would they charge you to vent your microwave/oven, especially if it is in place of a hood. Would they charge you $500 to vent your hood?

It just doesn't make sense, especially since your building codes probably mandate that they vent the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House