Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 62,730 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were in contract for a property with an underground oil tank. It was found to be leaking, hence removed and replaced with an above ground tank. From soil replacement to getting the No Further Action letter from NJDEP is very time consuming. We are currently in Phase 3 of clean up where a bedrock monitoring well will be installed, see if the leakage has impacted groundwater. Seller's insurance company will cover for any future cost if ground water is contaminated and it is transferable to new owner upon closing. Are we good to close this deal? Are we putting ourselves in unforeseen risks?

We like the house and intend to close, but our lender is hesitating as he said NO BANKS would proceed without clearance from NJDEP. I was told it is not uncommon to close with pending environmental issues.

Please advice and shed some lights. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvfong View Post
My husband and I were in contract for a property with an underground oil tank. It was found to be leaking, hence removed and replaced with an above ground tank. From soil replacement to getting the No Further Action letter from NJDEP is very time consuming. We are currently in Phase 3 of clean up where a bedrock monitoring well will be installed, see if the leakage has impacted groundwater. Seller's insurance company will cover for any future cost if ground water is contaminated and it is transferable to new owner upon closing. Are we good to close this deal? Are we putting ourselves in unforeseen risks?

We like the house and intend to close, but our lender is hesitating as he said NO BANKS would proceed without clearance from NJDEP. I was told it is not uncommon to close with pending environmental issues.

Please advice and shed some lights. Thank you.
what happened on the property? Just found out the property I'm buying has ground water contaimantion. Seller says - not costly.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,271,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl11 View Post
what happened on the property? Just found out the property I'm buying has ground water contaimantion. Seller says - not costly.
If the seller says it's not costly, tell them to fix the problem before you buy. IMO, you'd be out of your mind to buy a property with that sort of issue, especially in today's market with so many properties available.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,081,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl11 View Post
One house we considered buying had an fuel oil tank in the basement (heat) that had ruptured and leaked. The house was abandoned and needed a lot of work (which was fine until we saw the oil leak). I talked with the mortgage company and getting a loan was going to be difficult to start with because of the potential clean up issues, then the Superfund clean up process was very involved and if you missed dotting an I, you were out of luck. For this house it was estimated that it was going to run about $50,000+ to remove the tank, shore up the house, dig out the soil under the house, replace the foundation of the house because the oil had permeated the foundation and would just continue to leach into the soil. We decided to pass on that house...it was a fantastic house though. I still love that house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House