Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Thanks you guys! This is good stuff.

Coldjensens: Nice to know that having a house on tour while work was still in progress was ok.. Also love that people got to come back later and see the finished product. Sweet!

T. Damon, thanks, but my house looks nice in pictures because I only take photos of the good stuff . I generally don't post pictures of the rotting windowsills, the damp basement or the cracking plaster (although I do keep a "before" album for my personal enjoyment--it's nice to see progress).

Ohiogirl: You can play with my kitty, but only at your own risk. She's cranky. Actually the pets (we have 2 cats and a dog) are another reason to keep part of the house "off limits".

Right now I'm thinking we could just put the formal rooms on the tour. I love the idea of having a party too. Not sure if I'll have a kitchen at that point though.

I'd also like to see our architect, our builder and our "window guy" (who is really more of a craftsman than a carpenter) get some work out of the deal. They've done such a fantastic job for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I had a thought that since we are under renovation, it might be cool to highlight that aspect. I would clear the area of all personal possessions and actually have some of the workers here demonstrating plaster repair and how windows are restored. Make it more educational, rather than "come look at my (cat-hair covered) sofa".

That plan would also sort of let me off the hook, cleaning-wise. One would expect dust and chaos in a work area, right?
I love-love-love house tours!

My cousin owns a small B&B in a historic town with lots of Victorian stock. Several years ago (as a new resident), she was asked to be part of the town's annual Christmas house tour. She agreed...even allowed the second floor to be open. I know it was a lot of work, especially since she decorated just about every room (including the bedrooms) with traditional Victorian-style Christmas decorations. But I don't think she regretted it for a minute...she was interviewed for the local paper, and pictures of her B&B were included. Granted, she is a business owner vs. you, a homeowner.

Now on last year's tour, a house was included that had been badly damaged by fire. We're talking a beautiful 1870's mansion, that was rescued after the fire by a guy with money, and a background in construction. Some of the organizers of the Christmas tour didn't want the house included, but cooler heads prevailed, and I think it was one of the most popular houses on the tour. The exterior was in good condition...repairs had been made, windows were replaced. etc. The interior had been stripped right down to the studs, but the owner had set up a slide projector, showing pictures of the house during the fire, and his efforts at restoration to date.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when this house is fully renovated, it will again be a part of the Christmas tour. Can't wait to see it restored to its former glory!

Old 07-10-2010, 02:36 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I have one of those houses like yours. Even when I am outside, people walking by ask if they can see inside. I always respectfully decline.
I was invited, begged, to put my house on a tour. I would have to clear the house of all pictures and personal identification items....degrees, pictures, anything that points to who I am. Then I would have to leave during the tour hours. There would be a person in the house to watch over it.
I declined. It was way too much trouble and I did not want to have unknown numbers of people who paid some dollar amount to see my house. I just felt like I would have been violated and put on display. Another issue was that anyone could buy tickets and "case the joint"
I still et asked every year, I still decline.
Agree i wouldn't do it either. There is just too much risk of people with sticky fingers, insurance/lawsuit risks if someone gets hurt, may cause damage to the home, criminals looking to get an inside look to later rob you,... Just not worth it.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:49 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I'd go for it. Place a few volunteers throughout the house that can speak briefly about the history of the house, renovation plans, etc. Remove any portable valuables. We were on a couple of garden tours and people walked through our house - it was fun - no problems and you will make a lot of new friends and endear yourself to your community. It would be a generous and fun thing for you to do.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have not had one in my house, but I have been a "sitter" at one of my friend's houses. She was expected to get her own sitters, and over two days of tours, this amounts to a lot of people. There was a sitter in almost every room of the house. Our function was to explain any notable features to the guests, as well as to guard against theft or damage.

Some people are glad to show their house and some do not want others to know what they have. The thing is, the tours are usually for a good cause, so people like to do what they can.

Are they providing booties for people's shoes? Our tour gave out a pair with each ticket and there were baskets at the front doors with extra ones. This saves from everyone tracking dirt through the house.

On some tours, the owner's were home and provided punch and cookies. On the one I participated in, a luncheon was served at a central location as part of the ticket price.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM

OK, you guys...I said "yes".

Even though our kitchen currently looks like this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-2010-070.html

I filled out the form and said we would be the "before" example. If we scare at least one young couple away from a reno, I figure our work will be done.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
My Dad had a coastal historical home built in 1839. They did a Christmas tour of homes one yr. Have someone stationed in each room. not only to explain certain festures but to keep an eye on things. You would be surprised the number of people who thought nothing of opening cabinets and drawers of furniture!

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
OK, you guys...I said "yes".

Even though our kitchen currently looks like this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-2010-070.html

I filled out the form and said we would be the "before" example. If we scare at least one young couple away from a reno, I figure our work will be done.

Cool. People love when they can see inside the walls and see what is different.

It appears that you are going to replaster rather than using drywall. Good for you. Keep your historic home historic.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
We were just invited to participate in our town's Historic Homes Tour this fall.

I'm a bit hesitant since we are currently under renovation/construction.

The flip side is we live in a very "public" house and the first thing eveyone says upon learning our address is "I've always wanted to see the inside of that house".

I thought I'd ask here first since many of you seem to have lovely houses. Have you ever participated in a historic and/or decorator's tour?

Pros/Cons?

Overall, what was your experience?

I just wish this invite came three years later. Then we would be ready, willing and able.
The kind of crowd that goes to historic home tours are usually pretty tame...though you might risk getting cane marks on your floors and Caddilacs parked in your rose bushes.

I've never done it myself, though I would be open to the idea with my own house (which is a National Historic Register home). We've had previous owners and family of the origional owners come by and we've let them in. I guess you know your house is "special" if past residents still can't let it go!

You could open only specific parts of the house; you don't need to let people wander all over it like a model home. Plus, it would give you "encouragement" to get your renovations done in a timely manor. and you will help educate and encourage folks to preserve and protect old homes.
Good luck with it!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Just wanted to post a huge THANK YOU to those of you who encouraged us to do this.

It was crazy, but it was good.

I learned more about my house and it's history than I could by simply spending the day at the County Courthouse. Visitors were great and respectful and some of our older guests shared stories of growing up in the neighborhood and gave us new clues to our house's past.

The volunteers did an AMAZING job.

We were able to tour all of the other houses on the tour and made many new friends.

Two thumbs up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House