Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,111 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at properties with acres, and they all seem to have ponds, man made dug out large ponds, close to the house. I don't see any benefit to this, I can only think about flooding, maintaining, snakes, problems. Is there anyway it could be filled in? Or would that be impossible? Or could you let it dry up? Or would it never dry on its own? Anyone have experience with a large pond on their property before? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
I guess you could have the dam breached and let it dry out. Depending on what part of the country you are in the mud that drains downhill of the breached dam will take a couple to a few years to dry out completely.

Most people view ponds assets to their land be it for the views, for livestock watering, for fishing, for wildlife habitat, or in terms of real $$ value when selling. Building dams correctly for ponds larger than an acre gets costly if one has to hire it done.

Ponds properly built usually have spillways or a drain hole with a collar. Unless the house or outbuildings are built downhill from the pond why is flooding a concern or even a likelihood?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Most people view ponds assets to their land be it for the views, for livestock watering, for fishing, for wildlife habitat
These are definitely on top of the list-
the other, irrigation.
My Grandparents property had a tank (pond) as they're called in E. TX. it was for all the above but, mostly for irrigating the garden.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,124 times
Some things to consider:
1) Size. Is it going to dry out pretty soon in your area or is rain going to make that process drag out till next year?
2) If it's near the house can it be pumped out without creating a flood inside the house?
3) Is it lined? You will need to remove the liner before filling in.
4) Are there local sources for fill material/soil that will be compatible with the soil currently on the property?
5) If you fill it, you will have to gauge for compaction, get some help figuring that one out.

I say keep shopping till you find a place without one!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
One advantage is fire protection. By the time a fire truck can get to the house, the place will be an ash pit. You could set up a pump, lay hose and possibly save or limit damage to the house from a fire. Likewise, if wildfires are a concern, a pond creates a place that can be defended. Firefighters will likely ignore the house with no water source in favor of the one with a pond. It may also reduce your insurance cost.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
One advantage is fire protection. By the time a fire truck can get to the house, the place will be an ash pit. You could set up a pump, lay hose and possibly save or limit damage to the house from a fire. Likewise, if wildfires are a concern, a pond creates a place that can be defended. Firefighters will likely ignore the house with no water source in favor of the one with a pond. It may also reduce your insurance cost.

A very good point. I had forgotten that my pond IS the water source if the volunteer fire department has to respond.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:52 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,111 times
These are some really good points so far that I have not thought of. However, I am unfamiliar with the fire protection that people are talking about. What do you mean about the pond being a source, does that mean if there is a fire somewhere else, they come to your yard and suck out the water? Or is this for if your house has a fire? I guess I don't know what you mean there. It seems like there a lot of things to consider with this. Is it a lot to maintain? And what about the bad wildlife like snakes, gaters depending on where you live, whatever else might be lurking. I wouldn't want my horse to go down and get a drink and then get bit or whatever. Any more thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if this is something that I want or not. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
These are some really good points so far that I have not thought of. However, I am unfamiliar with the fire protection that people are talking about. What do you mean about the pond being a source, does that mean if there is a fire somewhere else, they come to your yard and suck out the water? Or is this for if your house has a fire? I guess I don't know what you mean there. It seems like there a lot of things to consider with this. Is it a lot to maintain? And what about the bad wildlife like snakes, gaters depending on where you live, whatever else might be lurking. I wouldn't want my horse to go down and get a drink and then get bit or whatever. Any more thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if this is something that I want or not. Thanks.
If you are in a rural location chances are that there are no fire hydrants; or, if there are, they will be few and far between. Yes, anything a pumper truck needs beyond what it carries to your house to put out a fire will come from your pond, if you have one close enough.

If you are concerned about your horse drinking from a pond you can pipe/pump water from the pond to a livestock waterer; or, hook up to city water for your livestock watering needs (expensive). You do realize that there will be snakes in the pasture anyway from time to time don't you?

Not all snakes are bad. Some water snakes, depending the area of the country, may be poisonous.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I'd guess that most rural fire trucks hold something like 500 gallons of water. If your house is on fire, they'll have to disconnect and fill up at the nearest source of water. If that source is a couple of miles away, they'll likely be able to save what's left of your foundation when they get back. With a nearby pond, they can drop a volume pump there and run a line to the truck, keeping it full as they fight the fire. If your neighbor has a fire and your pond is the nearest, they likely want to refill there too. Also, a pond would help them protect your house if there was a wildfire on your acreage.

I think horses are smarter than you think and they would avoid any snakes or stomp on them. In the situation you describe, gators wouldn't be a problem unless you're buying swamp land. For the way you're talking, I think you need to live in a city where you don't have to worry about these things. BTW, most snakes live on dry land.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:45 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,684,654 times
My pond is 50 feet from my house. I get a break on my fire insurance. You can install a dry hydrant so water is available in the frozen months too. Dry Hydrants (http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fire/dry-hydrants.shtml - broken link)

My gutters, and French drains run into the pond. In places like Ohio, we have a lot of flat land. The water has to go somewhere. Just about everybody has a pond.

Besides fishing, touching frogs, and paddling around in the canoe, my biggest advantage is how much we cut down on mosquitoes. It was originally a swamp with nothing but tall grass. The land was worthless, and we would get eaten alive while outside. Now we have a dock, and a nice picnic shelter. I'm working on a covered bridge too. I couldn't live without my pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House