Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 AM

238 posts, read 617,156 times

Advertisements

if i was a first time homeowner and renovator, i would anticipate it costing more $$ and time. i did not anticipate these things when we first started and it always seemed to cost more of both than i thought it should cost (too much hgtv?). we went the 'we'll be our own gc' route, there wasn't much in the way of structural changes to be done...it was not a wise decision for us at the time and we made mistakes and didn't always hire the best for the quality job we expected.

i feel it is important to get licensing info, but also references of similar work performed. and get detailed on the type of references you require. for example, i was looking to hire a painter to do a halls (10+ ft ceilings) of a 3 story house. i received references for painting a closet. not quite the same to me.

the gc and contractors are most important decision. some are worthy, some not. will work be subcontracted out or are the specialities part of gc's team?

now-a-days, there is a lot more info available on the net. get familiar with how a certain job should be performed/repaired. it'll help you decifer if a particular contractor will work out. back then, we did not, we 'assumed' they knew how to do their jobs (to our expectations). one case in particular that comes to mind was when we needed additional outlets and ceiling lighting. we brought in many electrical companies/contractors. we heard everything from running wires along baseboards to pulling up the wood floors to run the wiring under the floors. only 1 electrician asked me if there was a crawl space or something between the roof and top floor to drop wiring down that way. that's the one i hired.

also, do not settle for a contractor, due to feeling pressure to finish. another important lesson i learned.

here are some sites i found helpful in getting ballpark estimates:

Home & Garden Costs

also, add to the list of good advice you've received here, is know which projects/work will require city permits for your area. don't depend on contractor solely on this info.

best wishes for a successful renovation; it's exciting, frustrating and all the things in-between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 01:41 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Did you have a contract?
whassa contract?

me thinks the answer is "no", or there would have been no point in asking the question.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Yes this happens, it is happening to me as we speak. Much over, even though a contract was sign, he stated medium grade, without specifing a dollar amount, how the hek am i suppose to know what medium grade is to him, it is different to me. Well he said i have champagne taste, and it was not in my budget. Found out he does not have workers comp, and a couple guys working on my remodeling job are not licensed, just found this out. His work has been going down hill, and my probem is i take no shi- from anyone. He is pisse- because husband and i seem to know more about remodeling and additions then he does. If i am unhappy with his work, do i have any plan of action, i am so not happy with him. Just because someone has a license means nothing i have found. I ended paying him more money for granite, but he never drew up another contract, stating i had to pay more, was he suppose to do that for me. I need help.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Yes this happens, it is happening to me as we speak. Much over, even though a contract was sign, he stated medium grade, without specifing a dollar amount, how the hek am i suppose to know what medium grade is to him, it is different to me. Well he said i have champagne taste, and it was not in my budget. Found out he does not have workers comp, and a couple guys working on my remodeling job are not licensed, just found this out. His work has been going down hill, and my probem is i take no shi- from anyone. He is pisse- because husband and i seem to know more about remodeling and additions then he does. If i am unhappy with his work, do i have any plan of action, i am so not happy with him. Just because someone has a license means nothing i have found. I ended paying him more money for granite, but he never drew up another contract, stating i had to pay more, was he suppose to do that for me. I need help.
From what I understand, California has strict laws regarding contractors. I can't be of any assistance really because I don't know specifically what the laws in your state are.

As for drawing up another contract for the granite; a simple change order form should've been completed.

And yes, licenses don't always mean quality. A large portion of my contractors license test involved making sure I knew how to pay my taxes.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
Generally, what percentage would be considered "average" for going over budget -- 10%, 15%, 20% ?

Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
50%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House