Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,922 times

Advertisements

Hi All. So our shower stall is about 6 months old. The whitish grout is showing signs of darkening toward the bottom area of the stall wall. Almost looks like stains or mildew. Whatever it is, seems to be spreading. Cleaning with bleach seems to have no effect. It doesn't seem to be a stain simply on the surface.

Any ideas what it is or causing it? Don't think any shampoos are doing it.

How might I go about cleaning it? Any heavy duty grout cleaners? I do not believe the grout is sealed.

Pics attached. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Treating mildew in tile grout?-img_8451.jpg   Treating mildew in tile grout?-img_8452.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,314 times
Try cleaning it with an ammonia based cleaner, MAKING SURE there is no chlorine residue on it or around......(they DON"T mix!)

Then check out this product;

Dye Your Grout | Paint My Grout | Stain Your Grout | Recolor My Grout

I used it and it worked great! It seals the grout, makes it cleanable, AND has a mildewcide in it. I swear by the stuff and would not have grout without it. I little goes a long way, so it is not expensive.

Frank

Old 07-10-2010, 04:22 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
If the ammonia doesn't work, try some CLR. That first pic looks a lot like hard water stains.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Thanks...

Frank, which of the products on the page do you recommend?
Jim, perhaps. We do have hard water. I never knew hard water would create a colored stain. The stains are almost grey-reddish

Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
It looks like mold. . I would guess that the grout was not sealed correctly, if at all. If it were me and cleaning recommendations did not work, I would grind out the affected grout and re-grout. Re-seal all the grout in the shower. If stains re-appear quickly the mold is likely coming from behind the tile. Not good at all if this is the case.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,011 times
Hi
Lifelongmogal is spot on! There are grout removal tools that you can get to remove the affected grout and you will be using NON sanded white grout. A grout trowel is inexpensive or you can use a stiff sponge.
It is NOT mold though. Mold needs an organic matrix to feed on. Its probably mildew and/or grime.
Try the cleaners first, if no help; then simply regrout and seal as lifelongomgal suggested.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks all. Yes, do not believe grout is sealed. I know that the grout used by the builder is called "382 Bone". I'll see if I can find a match at Home Depot. I'll make sure whatever it is, it is non sanded.

I did suspect that I might have to remove the grout, as some of you have suggested. If I do, I will definitely seal all the grout after.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,314 times
FWIW, I have never found grout sealer to be all that effective long term.

You have to keep sealing it, and it can stain between sealings. That is why I suggested what I did. I have no personal gain in that recommendation......I have just found that it works better, as it seals the grout and lasts for years, and it keeps it the right color long term. It most importantly keeps it from staining, and makes the grout super easy to clean.......that is why some professional installers use it for even brand new installations.

Frank

Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,011 times
You should be using a penetrating sealer or you can try the material Frank refers to. I do not recommend membrane sealers such as that though.
If you use a penetrating sealer, use a silicone based sealer. You should wait till your new grout drys and apply a few coats. Basically the penetrating sealer "soaks" into the grout. It drys and leaves silicone in the molecular spaces that exist between the grout aggregate when grout is dry. The more of those molecular spaces you can fill with the sealer,the better. The silicone does not degrade in a manner of speaking, so resealing may or may not have any benefit. It really helps to do it when new and a few times. Penetrating sealers will NOT prevent stains as Frank mentioned. Membrane sealers in wet locations can be problematic as the molecular space in the grout is not filled and will get wet once the membrane gets compromised,then water fills that space and stuff starts to grow....you know the rest of the story.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Thanks all. Yes, do not believe grout is sealed. I know that the grout used by the builder is called "382 Bone". I'll see if I can find a match at Home Depot. I'll make sure whatever it is, it is non sanded.

I did suspect that I might have to remove the grout, as some of you have suggested. If I do, I will definitely seal all the grout after.
If you own a Dremel they have a nifty tool for grout removal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House