U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 PM

311 posts, read 1,323,268 times

Advertisements

How often do you hire a contractor to work in your home vs. doing the job yourself? For me it's about 20% contractor and 80% DIY.

My rule of thumb is that if I can easily do it myself, then that's what I do. If the job requires specialized knowledge, equipment or significant time investment, I hire a contractor.

Things such as landscaping and painting are pretty easy for me, so I have always done them on my own. I have also become good at tiling floors. However, I hired an electrician to upgrade the electrical system and someone to repair the garage door opener since these were out of my league.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 PM

14,218 posts, read 27,664,599 times
I've seen and done DIY gone bad and I try to be realistic about my abilities. I also have learned a lot by helping friends who are willing to share what they know in return for a helper on the project. Over the years, I've learned a lot and I can say I have real skills now.

I am going to get my own tile saw at last. I've spent so much renting them that I could have bought one 3x over! I have also learned how to make my own tile, both glass and ceramic. I think tile/stonework is my favorite.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,038,372 times
I think time can be a factor as well as money. Although my husband is capable to doing plumbing, electrical, crown molding and baseboards, flooring, window installation, etc., he still works full time. I don't want him spending every spare moment when he isn't at work working on the house. Money usually dictates how much you end up doing yourself or paying someone else to do....but time is another factor. My husband probably has done about 15% of the remodeling we have done over the years - the rest has been done by professionals.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM

284 posts, read 1,618,787 times
We do most things unless we don't have the time, the expensive equipment or if safety is a concern. We bought a fixer-upper when we got married, so we had to learn to do most things on our own as money was scarce. One thing we have learned is that we take more pride in our work than most workman that we have hired do. Plus, we love DIY projects and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with a job well done.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM

15,204 posts, read 11,293,583 times
In the past i've done 95% of the upgrades and maintenance around the house. However, I'm in the process of installing 2 garage doors on my pole barn. I'm doing the framing and Lowes is installing the doors and openers. Why ?

1. I don't have to buy the installation kit @ $80 per door.
2. I don't have to pay the sales tax on door or openers.
3. Openers install is $59 each.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,119,916 times
I'm a contractor and I see a lot of "Honey Do's" that really should have been "Honey Don't" ... nothing wrong with DIY but I find to many people that get in over their head and really make a mess of things, bad wiring, bad plumbing, compromise structural integrity, using the wrong grade of product or the wrong product or just flat out not having a plan in place before starting.
Trust me if you have ANY doubts about what you are doing, don't do it. It cost more to fix mistake than to have have it done right the first time. I replacing a roof trusses this month from a "honey do" of removing a main weight bearing wall. Amazing thing gravity. What could have cost $4000 is now going to cost about $15000.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,541,162 times
My rule of thumb is that if you need to be licensed to work in that area I am NOT going to do it myself (electrical, plumbing, etc.). Painting, lawn work, etc. we tend to do on our own. The ICK factor comes in too--if I don't want to do it or don't LIKE to do it, I will hire someone.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,693,076 times
mmmm.... i think we're about 90% DIY and 10% professional. Things like replacing the roof, repaving the driveway, installing a new water heater and removing several 80-100 foot tall trees were done by a professional but stuff like minor plumbing, tile work, painting and landscaping are done by us (or should I say gets added to the honey do list)

Old 06-24-2007, 08:39 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,270,687 times
We are about 90% DIY and maybe 5-10% contractor (the remaining % never get finished LOL). It helps that DH is a licensed electrician who focuses on residential remodeling. We hire folks for structural stuff (like the load bearing wall that is coming out tomorrow), and I try to hire plumbers. My electrician is not that great of a plumber. LOL

Old 06-25-2007, 08:42 AM

3,108 posts, read 8,673,009 times
We've gone from 80% DIY to about 20% DIY. Health has been a major factor there. I would love to do my own painting, landscaping, tiling, etc. But my body no longer cooperates. My husband has issues too so if we do it, it gets hired out. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House