Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of enclosing our deck with a screened in porch. The swivel chair has cushions on it and I notice that in the corner moss is now growing because of the rain. It has been sitting off to the side completely exposed.

I don't want to replace the cushion right now--so what is the best method to clean it now that it has been getting some abuse from the elements?

For most of the time we have owned the chair it was under a gazebo.

I was wondering if I could spray it with odo ban and then hose it off/let it air dry in the sun?

I haven't seen any cushions I like as much or affordable enough to replace it with all of the other expenses we have right now. I just need it to make it a year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The best way is to remove the outer cover and soak and wash is what we have found,ot herwise you can scrub with a brush and cleaner then rinse but washing does a better job ,

Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The best way is to remove the outer cover and soak and wash is what we have found,ot herwise you can scrub with a brush and cleaner then rinse but washing does a better job ,
I only have velcro tabs to remove it from the frame of the chair. There are no zippers or flaps to remove the cover from the cushion part.

I took if off and hosed it down this morning then sprayed it with odo ban. Will see if that helps get rid of the moss! If not then I hope I can find a cheap one that will do for now on clearance.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Scrub them with Dawn and a medium grade scrub bursh, rinse well, squeeze as much water out as possible without wringing, hang to dry.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Scrub them with Dawn and a medium grade scrub bursh, rinse well, squeeze as much water out as possible without wringing, hang to dry.
And after you're finished and they're well-dry, spray them with Scotchguard.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
And after you're finished and they're well-dry, spray them with Scotchguard.

Yep. I'd add, cushions will last longer if you take them out when you are going to use them and take them out of the elements when they are not in use.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I'd love to know the solution to this problem. My cushions are just taking up space in storage in my house. They're too aweful to put out. We're using our outdoor furniture without cushions this year. I didn't see any I liked to purchase for replacements. Mine are gross.

I know I could have prevented this by taking them out of the elements when not in use, but we use our patio constantly. We're in and out many times throughout the day and night. Our patio is literally an extention of our indoor area in the Spring, Summer and Fall. And I live in a very rainy region. It rains almost every single day here----on and off----without warning.

I guess the solution is to buy furniture that doesn't require cushions.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM

well this addition was only supposed to last 2 wks...6 wks later we see the light at the end of the tunnel this week. Handyman placed them off to the side out of the way and for a while stuff was piled up on them so I didn't really pay much attention to them. We keep getting these horrendous downpours in the afternoon and that side of the house doesn't get the late day sun---sooooo moss had a great home!

The hosing off and spraying with ODO BAN got rid of the moss!!!!!! AND they spell nice now

just let it air dry in the sun for a bit and now it is staying in the garage til the carpet is down. I am parking outside. Furniture wins this round.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
The hosing off and spraying with ODO BAN got rid of the moss!!!!!! AND they spell nice now

just let it air dry in the sun for a bit and now it is staying in the garage til the carpet is down. I am parking outside. Furniture wins this round.
Congrats! I'm looking forward to trying it.

Moss is exactly what's on my cushions! Moss grows between the bricks on my patio too. I like moss there, but not on my cushions.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Congrats! I'm looking forward to trying it.

Moss is exactly what's on my cushions! Moss grows between the bricks on my patio too. I like moss there, but not on my cushions.
I have moss all over my flagstones where the chairs were stored....the AC drain and one of the downspouts empty in that area so makes perfect sense.

Another thing I have used before to clean moss off the brick on our house is SIMPLE GREEN...it has a wonderful smell too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House