Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 AM

205 posts, read 603,079 times

Advertisements

Great interesting thread. I posted a thread in another forum of this site asking about any metal roofs in Bay Area (northern) California.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...tal-metal.html

got no response there so far, seems this thread has quite some replies so thought I'd reiterate my question here as well. Is it not a fad or just too expensive for metal roofs in CA or did I not look in the right places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 AM

451 posts, read 456,854 times
I had a standing seam metal roof installed on my home in NJ. The house was sided with cedar shakes with white trim. The dark blue roof really set it off. I never had the slighest problem with the roof or phone reception. After 12 years it still looked like new. I've since moved to Florida where metal is rather common. I'm going to need a roof in a few years and want to get metal. My problem is I really don't like the natural colored roofs that everyone opts for down here, but I'm afraid any decent color would get too hot. I also don't like that they put thousands of screws through the metal surface when installing. Conversely, I worry that the concealed clips used to install standing seam might not stand up to hurricane force winds. Quite the quandry.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
Quite the quandry.

...and you had to dig up a 13yo thread/ resurrected 8yrs ago for a "quandry"?

Old 10-18-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Slow day.... I noticed it bothered you enough to reply to a "13yo thread/ resurrected 8yrs ago".

Old 10-19-2020, 05:26 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:

To be fair, the threads do say this at the bottom:

Old 10-19-2020, 08:45 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
To be fair, the threads do say this at the bottom:

...a “quandry” isn’t a “point-of-view”.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If your angles are correct, they also shed snow. You don't have to shovel the roof. The metal roofs last longer than anything else. You can buy them pre enameled and they never need painting either. I like them. I also have a neighbor who put metal on his roof and it looks just like slate shingles from the ground.

A 2007 post but...

The caveat is that you have to design the house for a metal roof so you don't kill people when a huge slab of snow & ice slides off. That also rips gutters off so most houses with a metal roof have some kind of crushed stone French drain around the foundation. They're normal in the 250" to 300" snow belt in the Vermont Green mountains. I had a new-ish Weber gas grill crushed once. You only make that mistake once.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:56 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A 2007 post but...

The caveat is that you have to design the house for a metal roof so you don't kill people when a huge slab of snow & ice slides off. That also rips gutters off so most houses with a metal roof have some kind of crushed stone French drain around the foundation. They're normal in the 250" to 300" snow belt in the Vermont Green mountains. I had a new-ish Weber gas grill crushed once. You only make that mistake once.
You also can't plant shrubs right under or close to the drip line. Cascades of snow/ice slabs will flatten them every winter. Metal roof plusses...no gutters to clean, a lot less debris/moss build up unless you really neglect it. A couple of good roof avalanches of frozen snow tends to scrape the build up off during thaws. As for fasteners leaving holes...don't roofing nails do that too? Metal roofing screws have gaskets which need to be inspected periodically. You don't NEED standing seams if you choose metal. I prefer metal roofs if there's a choice.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
...a “quandry” isn’t a “point-of-view”.
I believe the first part is an opinion, no?

I had a standing seam metal roof installed on my home in NJ. The house was sided with cedar shakes with white trim. The dark blue roof really set it off. I never had the slighest problem with the roof or phone reception. After 12 years it still looked like new.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:54 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A 2007 post but...

Install snow brakes.

I have them strategically installed in areas so it won't crush me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House