Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,209,543 times

Advertisements

As Dave Ramsey often says, You just paid a "stupid tax".
If you get back the $300, good for you, if not, chaulk it up to a life lesson and move on. It sounds like they need it more than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:07 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,618,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
As Dave Ramsey often says, You just paid a "stupid tax".
If you get back the $300, good for you, if not, chaulk it up to a life lesson and move on. It sounds like they need it more than you.
If it was me today I would give some money back, however in my younger years, maybe not..... its a real test of integrity with a totaled truck and an unemployed wife.....

Generosity is a luxury, integrity maybe feels like it sometimes..

Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,830,599 times
When the first thing anyone wants to do is take someone to court, beware. It's usually NOT the solution.
Anyway. I think you gave the guy a chance and he failed. He needs to know that. By making the call and telling him he failed and you had to redo the work, he now knows the real reason for your not wanting him to return. He probably already spent the money and will not be giving it back. Even with a receipt, it would be a long hard battle to get it. It's not worth it. You can chalk it up to charity. Also, and not with visious intent, let people who ask, that the workers quality of work is less than acceptable. He will nto be getting refferals from you.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM

11,074 posts, read 10,632,892 times
@ Barking Spider - I love Dave Ramsey. Some of the best financial advice I've ever gotten came from his radio show.

@ Squir - To some people, it seems that integrity really is a luxury, unfortunately.

@ OP - As Shane said, do not refer his work to anyone. And if anyone asks, feel free to tell them that he did poor work. No need to mention anything else, just the poor workmanship will keep him from getting other jobs and causing problems for others. Good luck on getting the $300 back, but as previously posted, if you don't get it back, I wouldn't fight about it too much, just chalk it up to charity or "stupid tax" and move on. Next time you'll remember why you don't pay people up front in cash.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 PM

245 posts, read 584,315 times
Let it go and don't use him again,OP.
No point in going back now and trying to get money from him.
He probably wouldn't have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House