Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times

Advertisements

My deck is in desparate need to be re-stained. I don't think it can wait another year. With the summer half over, I really need to think about getting this done, but I've got alot going on every weekend for the rest of the summer.

Has anyone ever hired a contractor to stain their deck? If so, was it alot more expensive than doing the project yourself? I've done a quick search of contractors in the Denver area and haven't found alot of contractors who specialize in deck re-staining.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has hired a contractor for this job and had a good outcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Of course it's more expensive than doing it yourself unless you think you can find someone who will work for free. For a job like staining a deck, the supplies are inexpensive - it's the labor and attention to detail that costs money. I'm not sure there are contractors that specialize in deck staining, that's more of a handyman type job so I think you should be able to find a general handyman that has a lot of experience staining decks and go with them. A painting contractor could probably do it as well. If you posted on your local forum I'm sure you would get a great recommendation. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
A painting contractor is the person to look for to stain a deck. Even a handyman can do it, if you think it is not really involved. It's not a difficult job, just time consuming.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Not all stains/sealers are the same- so don't settle for whatever "they" (H/M, paint contr.) use.

I always recommend this product to my H/O's when asked about good stains/sealers:

TWP 100 | TWP Stain | Total Wood Preservative | TWP Series 100

I never had anyone regret using it- even some C-D folks have taken my advice and have used it.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
Default Seconding TWP 100 Series Deck Stain!

Another person mentioned TWP stains, and I have to chime in because I've had the most amazing experience with them. We have a cottage in Michigan and the deck was completely weathered and looked awful, and the TWP stain restored it to better than new. If price is a factor for you, use their calculator online to see how much you would need and price it out on their site.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-09-2016 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 09:33 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
1. Buy a $120 power washer. You will use it for many things over the next decade.
2. Buy high-quality stain that is oil based.
3. Brush on, don't spray. 2 applications.
Every 3 years, go to 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House