Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,707 times

Advertisements

If you feel that the rooms are too gloomy and dark, why not try looking at lighting options. We've lived in older homes with beatiful dark woodwork, my husband added small can lights in the ceiling and it made all the difference. Up lighting in a corner, heps too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:28 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,462 times
Default Similar problem...

with very dark exposed beams throughout the house - I LOVE the character, but I am trying to lighten the ambiance somewhat.... I recently had all the windows replaced and am trying to figure out what to do with those frames - hesitate to go with paint even there. I definitely do not want to paint over the beams, as that is a too-permanent solution for me. As you can see, though, I have a fairly low ceiling with dark posts, beams, and slats... the pine on the floor does lighten it somewhat.

I'm waiting with bated breath for other suggestions... although I will probably try an interior designer who specializes in older-style homes... right now the walls are just the way they were when I bought five years ago... not rushing into anything that I may regret later....

Keep the suggestions coming..
Attached Thumbnails
Dark stained trim in 100yr old home, don't know what to do....-fireplace_room2.jpg   Dark stained trim in 100yr old home, don't know what to do....-front_hallway_1.jpg   Dark stained trim in 100yr old home, don't know what to do....-back_hallway1.jpg  

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
I LOVE your room in the first picture. It is beautiful with the beams and that fireplace. I wouldn't change a thing, but you could add to the ambiance with some wall color, maybe a creamy butter yellow. Would have to see your furniture/fabrics to tell.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM

238 posts, read 617,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The wood probably doesn't actually have a dark stain, it is just probably aged and has gotten darker. You can strip the woodwork and restain. It is time consuming but it can be done. Please don't paint over the woodwork.
yep! i have the same prob. i'm trying lighting; pot lights over fp, up lights near columns. i bought the house cause i loved all the stained wood and stained glass, so i've been hesitant about painting it.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I've rehabbed three houses in Pennsylvania, the oldest of which was built in 1897. No woodwork I ever refinished was worth the effort. Every dark wood I ever dealt with was mostly dark from the aged varnish or wax on top of it. Removing it lightened up the color somewhat, but underneath was still aged wood. It's a gargantuan effort for not much return on investment. I'd go with trying to lighten up your overall look in other ways. Your beams are especially gorgeous, as is.

I have great respect for professional designers, but if you go that route, be very careful you don't end up with a "decorator" whose main agenda is showing you how dramatically s/he can change your house. Because that usually involves ... painting the woodwork. Or, heaven forbid, pickling it.

And if you paint that woodwork, I guarantee you the next person who owns that house will want to strip the paint. I actually know of a historic home in Pittsburgh that burned down -- after hundreds of thousands of dollars of restoration work had been completed on it -- because of a fire started with a paint-stripper gun.

If you're going to spend some money on a assistance, I'd go with a professional lighting consultant. I just know someone can brighten up your home and enhance the warmth of that wood, not destroy it.

Where's Candace Olson's Chico when you need him?!

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
with very dark exposed beams throughout the house - I LOVE the character, but I am trying to lighten the ambiance somewhat.... I recently had all the windows replaced and am trying to figure out what to do with those frames - hesitate to go with paint even there. I definitely do not want to paint over the beams, as that is a too-permanent solution for me. As you can see, though, I have a fairly low ceiling with dark posts, beams, and slats... the pine on the floor does lighten it somewhat.

I'm waiting with bated breath for other suggestions... although I will probably try an interior designer who specializes in older-style homes... right now the walls are just the way they were when I bought five years ago... not rushing into anything that I may regret later....

Keep the suggestions coming..
I like your room but thats just me.

Just a thought. I do this with my antique cupboards when the inside is too dark to display my stuff well. I tack off white burlap or some other fabric to the back. That way I get a light interior without ruining my antique cupboard by painting the inside. There are a number of things you could tack on your ceiling between the beams that could be removed later. Fabric, faux or real tin tiles, wallpaper, etc.

Same thing with the walls. Upholster one or more with burlap. Burlap comes in all kinds of colors now. Ive even seen it in red. I like burlap because it has a loose weave. Makes it easier to hang pictures etc. Also it reminds me of wallpaper.
FYI. If you use decorative tacks they become part of the "design"

Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Well I personally wouldn't touch that wood but that's my 2 cents. What about extra lighting, maybe more reflective surfaces for the light to bounce off like period appropriate mirrors? Add a stained glass window?

I just hope you don't paint, I have a feeling it would end up looking fake and plastic. I rented a house with painted beams across the ceiling in one room and it just didn't look good.

My house was built around 1900 and it's dark on the main floor too. The way the windows sit and the trees around, don't let a lot of light in. My kitchen that has only one tiny window is especially dark so I understand.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
As has been suggested, lighting is key. Think light area rugs, furniture and paint. Add splashes of color interest with pillows, throws, wall paintings, colored glass that is accent lighted.

The question about painting the windows is a tough one. I'm in the final stretch on a renovation and I have chosen to keep the natural wood on the windows except on the enclosed porches. The reason being that once window trim is painted I think the baseboard trim and any crown around the ceiling also needs to be painted.

For instance, in the narrow hallway you might be able to get away with painting the dark doors a light color but leaving the trim around with the natural stain and then echoing painting the window sashes a bright, cheery color to draw the eye to outside scenery but not the surrounding window trim. This works well for "cottage style" but you'd have to decide if it works for your cabin style home interior.

Tough call! If you saved your old window sashes you might experiment with painting them first, then place the old sash next to the new one and decide if you like it. If you don't, no harm, no foul, no stripping of paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House