Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:01 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,822 times

Advertisements

Ok, so maybe I made it sound worse than it is but I thought I had a 24-month price-lock guarantee with TWC here in Durham but my bill went up from $64 to $110 this month. When I called them up they said that the "promo" had run out since I've been with them for a year. When I inquired about the 24 month price-lock guarantee they told me that I never signed up for it. My immediate question was "so, I can cancel any time I want?" The rep said "yes", so I thanked her and immediately went on DirecTVs website to see what their specials are.

Anywho, my only reservation about getting DirecTV, and the one thing I need help with, is concerning the antenna. I thought about putting a pole in my back yard but I don't think it will be stable enough and I don't want it to get knocked down by my dog while we play soccer in our back yard. But, my reservation about putting it on the roof is what happens when I uninstall it? How do I patch the holes? Do I just leave the bolts in there or is there some other way?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM

321 posts, read 880,326 times
So TW didn't lie to you.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM

151 posts, read 548,324 times
Just leave the dish there. Why would you move it? Even if you change from dish and get cable again, the dish can stay.

BTW. I had dish network for 4 years and loved it. Just keep in mind you will have to get home phone (if you want it) and interenet from someone else...probably TWC.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Best thing is to replace the shingles with the holes. You can get by with filling them with roof patching cement.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post
Just leave the dish there. Why would you move it? Even if you change from dish and get cable again, the dish can stay.

BTW. I had dish network for 4 years and loved it. Just keep in mind you will have to get home phone (if you want it) and interenet from someone else...probably TWC.
We don't have a home phone and our internet is through Verizon (now Frontier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
So TW didn't lie to you.
Yes, they did. The only reason I signed up with them last year instead of DTV was because the price was supposed to be guaranteed for two years. I remember having that conversation with my wife while still on the phone with the CSR from TW.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM

25 posts, read 52,956 times
Yeah, TW did the same thing to me. I signed up online with the price-lock guarantee. I got the letter in the mail with the terms of the contract and details about its length. Three months later the price goes up. They said that I never called some 1-800 number to give my verbal agreement to the contract. They told me that "the agent who you signed up with should have transferred you to that number". I told them that I didn't talk to anyone. I signed up online! And there was *no* mention of a verbal agreement, plus I have the letter with the terms in my possession.

I was so mad. But it did let me get out of the contract. I'm now a happy U-Verse user. -1 to TW for giving you the chance to sign up online, but not giving you all the information you need to meet their terms. Oh well, I'm free and couldn't be happier!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
. . . I thought about putting a pole in my back yard but I don't think it will be stable enough and I don't want it to get knocked down by my dog while we play soccer in our back yard. . . .

use a heavy gauge gatorshield post with 50lbs of concrete or more and you should have no problems as long as you don't hit the antenna. the pole will remain firm though.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:21 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I got DirecTV last December. (I'm very happy with the service, BTW, not so happy with the billing which has had multiple errors). I asked the installer about removal of the dish (it's not on my roof, it's attached on the side of my house near the roof line) and he said I would never have to. According to him, their policy is to leave it once it's in place, even if you cancel their service. (They make the assumption that you'll want their wonderful product forever and even if you sell your house, the new owner will want the service, too, and they will use your old dish.) So you're just supposed to leave it there, no matter what. I guess they can't stop you from removing it if you want to when you cancel, but they won't do it. Mine is actually quite unobtrusive so I wouldn't bother to remove it even if I wasn't using it.

That's not to say that your dish wouldn't end up on your roof. The installers are particular about where they put it because of their desire to give you the best reception. But my installer, at least, was very responsive to my desire to make my dish as invisible as possible. Many people in my development have DirecTV and you really have to search to see most dishes.

You do know, don't you, that if you move before your contract is up, you are still responsible to keep DirecTV at your new location through the life of the contract. The only exception is if you move to a location where dishes are not permitted. And in that case you have to provide DirecTV with a written missive from your management company/HOA explaining the circumstances before you are released from the contract.

My main worry about getting a dish was wind. I live in Tucson where we have high winds all through the year and I was afraid that would interfere with service. But I have had NO such problem. The Comcast cable I used to have pixilated constantly and briefly went to total black screen every couple of nights, which is why I got rid of it. DirecTV's service has been a great improvement and it's wonderful to have a recorder from them without having to purchase the most expensive viewing package (a requirement from Comcast where I live ... recorders are only for people who subscribe to HD service packages).

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
use a heavy gauge gatorshield post with 50lbs of concrete or more and you should have no problems as long as you don't hit the antenna. the pole will remain firm though.
I think I might just install it on the roof to get a better line of sight. I can always patch the roof if I remove the antenna (which would only happen if we move and the new homeowners request it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I got DirecTV last December. (I'm very happy with the service, BTW, not so happy with the billing which has had multiple errors). I asked the installer about removal of the dish (it's not on my roof, it's attached on the side of my house near the roof line) and he said I would never have to. According to him, their policy is to leave it once it's in place, even if you cancel their service. (They make the assumption that you'll want their wonderful product forever and even if you sell your house, the new owner will want the service, too, and they will use your old dish.) So you're just supposed to leave it there, no matter what. I guess they can't stop you from removing it if you want to when you cancel, but they won't do it. Mine is actually quite unobtrusive so I wouldn't bother to remove it even if I wasn't using it.

That's not to say that your dish wouldn't end up on your roof. The installers are particular about where they put it because of their desire to give you the best reception. But my installer, at least, was very responsive to my desire to make my dish as invisible as possible. Many people in my development have DirecTV and you really have to search to see most dishes.

You do know, don't you, that if you move before your contract is up, you are still responsible to keep DirecTV at your new location through the life of the contract. The only exception is if you move to a location where dishes are not permitted. And in that case you have to provide DirecTV with a written missive from your management company/HOA explaining the circumstances before you are released from the contract.

My main worry about getting a dish was wind. I live in Tucson where we have high winds all through the year and I was afraid that would interfere with service. But I have had NO such problem. The Comcast cable I used to have pixilated constantly and briefly went to total black screen every couple of nights, which is why I got rid of it. DirecTV's service has been a great improvement and it's wonderful to have a recorder from them without having to purchase the most expensive viewing package (a requirement from Comcast where I live ... recorders are only for people who subscribe to HD service packages).

Good luck.
Thanks for all the info, it's very useful. I'm worried about wind if I install it on a pole (I wouldn't install the pole, the DTV installers would and I don't think I trust them). I've made my decision, even if it's against my wife's wishes not to have it installed on the roof.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

My main worry about getting a dish was wind. I live in Tucson where we have high winds all through the year and I was afraid that would interfere with service. But I have had NO such problem.
Our dish is strapped to the chimney, and we actually had perfect reception when we were getting 70+ mph wind from Hurrican Ivan going through the area. (Why we still had power then was a puzzling blessing I'm very grateful for)

However, we do get some very occasional spotty reception from those stuck fat pig rainstorms that dump 2 inches of rain an hour into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House