Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM

450 posts, read 5,008,018 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I just moved into a new house. The master bath and another full bath both have large, plain sheet mirrors measuring 72 inches long. We have been unable to find any mirrors in online stores or regular stores that are anywhere near this length.

As an alternative, I found a company that sells picture frame type frames that go along the edges of your existing sheet mirror, so maybe we will do that.

Any other alternatives? The edges of the sheet mirror are tarnished and don't look good.

I haven't been able to find any mirrors anywhere that are this long. We don't think doing two separate, smaller mirrors will look good, as it's a long vanity.

What have others done to jazz up their large sheet mirrors in their bathrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 PM

577 posts, read 1,754,383 times
Around here there are places that will make you a mirror any size you want. Maybe talk to some contracters to see if there is such a place.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,947,381 times
I hate those..We have one too...

I am going to remove it and put up 2 nice large framed mirrors from Lowes,
one over each vanity...

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,236,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Any other alternatives? The edges of the sheet mirror are tarnished and don't look good.

I haven't been able to find any mirrors anywhere that are this long. We don't think doing two separate, smaller mirrors will look good, as it's a long vanity.

What have others done to jazz up their large sheet mirrors in their bathrooms?
I removed my humungous builder's mirror and replaced it with two separate framed ones purchased on sale at a furniture store. It looks fine, is still plenty enough mirror to primp in and my vanity is 6.5 feet long. I prefer a light fixture hung over each mirror, but my electrical was centered over the vanity, so I just went with one long bathroom fixture (five lights) in a metal matching the mirror frames. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because I don't expect to be in this house forever.

For some ideas on how to revamp a builder's mirror without removing it see
bathroom mirror Search Results : HGTV

Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,947,381 times
or...
do what my aunt did and run border paper to match the wallpaper
along all the edges

Then you must cover the light switch covers in the same paper

Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 AM

967 posts, read 2,595,091 times
We made our own frame out of MDF trim from home depot. Painted it shiny hi-gloss white and attached it to the mirror in place. Three years later it still looks great! Like a picture frame...

Now about 10 years ago we were replacing the cabinets, and the cabinet installer requested that we have a window company remove/install the mirror. So something tells me that a residential window company may have what you need if you were looking to replace.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM

450 posts, read 5,008,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
We made our own frame out of MDF trim from home depot. Painted it shiny hi-gloss white and attached it to the mirror in place. Three years later it still looks great! Like a picture frame...

Now about 10 years ago we were replacing the cabinets, and the cabinet installer requested that we have a window company remove/install the mirror. So something tells me that a residential window company may have what you need if you were looking to replace.
Interesting. Will look into this!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
These guys are in your area-

Glass Shower Doors, Custom Mirrors, Glass Tabletops, Glass Shelves

Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,024,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I hate those..We have one too...

I am going to remove it and put up 2 nice large framed mirrors from Lowes,
one over each vanity...
I agree - take them down and replace them.

I had custom mirrors built from Pictureframes.com – Picture frames, ready made picture frames, custom picture frames, custom canvas printing, wood picture frames, metal picture frames, discount picture frames

You can chose your own frame, type of mirror and how it hangs. They look great and less expensive than the ones I saw at higher end home improvement stores.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM

102 posts, read 704,880 times
I had a glass and mirror store trim the tarnished edges of our mirrors....they now look like new for $40.
They will also make any size mirror for a reasonable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House