Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,548,364 times

Advertisements

I'll begin by giving a complete rundown of my findings. A month or so ago I discovered the pressure gauge was not functioning. Yesterday I purchased one. I turned off the power to the well pump and drained the water to replace the pressure gauge. Simple task. Gauge is now installed.
Here's where things go wrong. I decided since the water was drained to check the bladder pressure in the tank. I found it only had 12psi. The tank says it was factory-filled to 30psi but I filled it to 38psi since the system was set to turn on at 40psi and off at 60psi.
The problem is, and I must note that I am unaware if this problem existed before I added air to the pressure tank, the pressure switch is not turning off. I understand how the switch works so I know I would see it release the contacts once the system is filled. I assumed since it was never shutting off that it was clogged from sediment like the pressure gauge so I decided to replace it. Before I replaced the pressure switch today the gauge was showing 38psi but would never rise above that. The only fluctuation was when I turned the pump off and drained the system down. Turn the pump on and the gauge would rise to 38psi and hold. Meanwhile the contacts are still pulled closed.
After I replaced the pressure switch today I turned the system back on and now the gauge stays at 30psi. The pressure never increases or decreases and the contacts are still closed. I tried to increase the pressure by turning the large adjustment screw 4 complete turns and the pressure gauge is still showing 30psi.
What am I doing wrong here? Why would the switch continue to call for pressure but never increase? Why the 8psi drop in pressure just from changing the pressure switch even after adjustment?
Your advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I'll begin by giving a complete rundown of my findings. A month or so ago I discovered the pressure gauge was not functioning. Yesterday I purchased one. I turned off the power to the well pump and drained the water to replace the pressure gauge. Simple task. Gauge is now installed.
Here's where things go wrong. I decided since the water was drained to check the bladder pressure in the tank. I found it only had 12psi. The tank says it was factory-filled to 30psi but I filled it to 38psi since the system was set to turn on at 40psi and off at 60psi.
The problem is, and I must note that I am unaware if this problem existed before I added air to the pressure tank, the pressure switch is not turning off. I understand how the switch works so I know I would see it release the contacts once the system is filled. I assumed since it was never shutting off that it was clogged from sediment like the pressure gauge so I decided to replace it. Before I replaced the pressure switch today the gauge was showing 38psi but would never rise above that. The only fluctuation was when I turned the pump off and drained the system down. Turn the pump on and the gauge would rise to 38psi and hold. Meanwhile the contacts are still pulled closed.
After I replaced the pressure switch today I turned the system back on and now the gauge stays at 30psi. The pressure never increases or decreases and the contacts are still closed. I tried to increase the pressure by turning the large adjustment screw 4 complete turns and the pressure gauge is still showing 30psi.
What am I doing wrong here? Why would the switch continue to call for pressure but never increase? Why the 8psi drop in pressure just from changing the pressure switch even after adjustment?
Your advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Is this a jet type pump??

Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM

749 posts, read 2,426,675 times
This is all i can tell you about it, right or wrong. My gauge is shot, I didn't even bother replacing it. I put 32 lbs of air in my bladder tank. I believe I have a 20-50 Square D switch. It too wasn't shutting off when i first installed it so I have a tap a couple feet away from the tank. I open the tap and it cuts on, I close the tap and just kept adjusting the screw till it cutoff. On my switch there is also a smaller screw to raise or lower cut-off pressure only.

I've got a nut driver with a thick rubber handle for adjusting the screws and touch the screws only , otherwise you might get shocked. If your not maintaining pressure, even the slighest leak in the line can cause the pump not to shut off. I got soapy water and would spray fittings looking for bubbles to show up where air is leaking. I had to buy form-a-gasket to seal my jet pump, because I took it apart thinking, like you said there was some obstruction on the small 1/8" copper tube from the pump to the switch.

For me it was trial and error till I got the swich to cut on when I opened the tap ( about a 5 second delay), the pump cycles whith the tap open then it cuts off a couple seconds after I close the tap. Also if your close on your adjustments you can let out a 1/2 or 1 lb of air and see how it acts.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Is this a jet type pump??
Not sure. It's a deep well (the plate says 105') with a submersed pump if that tells you anything. The well is in the front yard. The pressure tank and switch are located under the house.

My only guess is there's water leaking somewhere. I closed the main valve that is after the pressure tank and the pump continued to run so that narrows down where the problem might be. If the line had split somewhere between the well and house I would imagine I'd see a wet, soft spot in the yard. Is it possible there might be a relief valve or something of that nature in the well that could be faulty? It's just strange that now it won't build more than 24psi.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 PM

Could be leaking in the well.

Some drillers use a galvanized insert in the pump rather than brass. The galvanized will rot though.

Also look for puddles around the casing. There is an insert goes there to hook the water line to the pitless.

If that is galvanized it will rot and leak.

Also check for leaks the entire length of the drop pipe.

Maybe it would be best to call a driller on this one.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,837,655 times
The air valve is similiar to that of a tire valve. With the 32 lbs of air pressure ...press on the valve core to release air and chances are water will come out. YOU HAVE A BLADDER LEAK. I found this with my well pump as it also did the same symptoms as with your pump.

Bought mine from Harbor Freight and they had a later model on sale for $99 and a customer in the store gave me a $20 computer coupon print out so I bought a new unit for only $79...such a deal and still have the old unit...going to buy a new bladder first chance I get. Keep the old pump for washing my car.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
The air valve is similiar to that of a tire valve. With the 32 lbs of air pressure ...press on the valve core to release air and chances are water will come out. YOU HAVE A BLADDER LEAK. I found this with my well pump as it also did the same symptoms as with your pump.

Bought mine from Harbor Freight and they had a later model on sale for $99 and a customer in the store gave me a $20 computer coupon print out so I bought a new unit for only $79...such a deal and still have the old unit...going to buy a new bladder first chance I get. Keep the old pump for washing my car.
Pump and tank manufacturers make a special kind of JUNK for big box stores and cheap Internet sites.

Yes, the same brand and look, beware.

This is a quality site I trust.

http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/index.htm

Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
No water comes out of the air valve. The system was installed in '94 so I would say it's safe to assume the air that leaked down would be normal. It's holding the pressure I added fine. However, due to the condition of the tank I'm probably going to go ahead with it's replacement today.

Quote:
Maybe it would be best to call a driller on this one.
Thanks, Driller, for your advice. I have to agree with you on this one. I generally do most repairs myself but my problem is I need to learn when to throw in the towel. A neighbor down the street actually owns a well-drilling business. I called him to find out if he does repairs but he hasn't called back yet.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM

749 posts, read 2,426,675 times
I got a Flotec pressure tank.....I'm pretty happy with it, it works great.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
No water comes out of the air valve. The system was installed in '94 so I would say it's safe to assume the air that leaked down would be normal. It's holding the pressure I added fine. However, due to the condition of the tank I'm probably going to go ahead with it's replacement today.

Thanks, Driller, for your advice. I have to agree with you on this one. I generally do most repairs myself but my problem is I need to learn when to throw in the towel. A neighbor down the street actually owns a well-drilling business. I called him to find out if he does repairs but he hasn't called back yet.
Call someone eles if he does not return your call soon.

If he won't call you to get your money, what will happen once he has it and something goes wrong??

Most of the time someone answers the phone here. If we are gone I check the answering machine often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House