Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times

Advertisements

When I met my husband 8 years ago he was living in this house. I wouldn't have bought it but we live here and there's no compelling reason to sell it, except I hate the garage set up. I would call it a "raised Ranch" b/c it is single story with garage and storage room underneath. Sits on the crest of a hill and you enter garage from behind the house. From the street it looks level but from the rear you can see the design.

So, unloading groceries means parking in front of the house and walking thru the entry and diningr oom to get to the kitchen, then driving around back to put the car away. Or, going straight to the garage and climbing stairs with groceries. I hate lugging groceries up the stairs. Anyone have a dumb waiter?
Do they work OK?
Attached Thumbnails
Dumb waiter-img_2125.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
I think dumbwaiter is one word, to avoid confusion...

A long time ago, when living in a third story walk-up, I rigged a hoist for groceries. I suspect you will need to address the same types of problems that I had. If you do a major shopping, most lifts will be inadequate. That means either two people, with one loading and one unloading, or numerous walks back and forth.

Further, the dumbwaiters I used to use in a hospital were manual. While well balanced, they still required a bit of effort to operate.

Some houses are just poorly designed ergonomically. Have you considered having a child's little red wagon by the front door? That way you could load the groceries into the wagon, park the car, then go back through the house to pull the groceries through it to the kitchen.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

761 posts, read 3,414,969 times
Have your groceries delivered...

I like unique layouts of houses so it wouldn't bother me.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
Have your groceries delivered...

I like unique layouts of houses so it wouldn't bother me.
Delivery not available in my area......I often shop when DH is home so he can come down to help haul. However, prefer to shop during weekdays while he's at work..... looking into the wagon/shopping cart idea!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Are the stairs enclosed? If not, you can rig a platform with an electric winch at the top of the stairs that drops to the garage. Then it's a simple matter of dropping the platform on the way out and then loading it up and winching it up when you return. It would need some sort of support frame, rollers to keep it from getting stuck and could be enclosed.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,372,485 times
Don't have one but had a close friend that had one in a house she purchased (since sold). It was electric and was great. It was essentially a mini box elevator in that ran from basement (garage area) to a closet outside her kitchen. She used it for everything from groceries to laundry to logs for the fireplace.
Believe the weight limit was 100 lbs but not sure.
You can find them online if you check for dumbwaiters or elevators.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Hummmm.......living here now almost 6 years and should have posted then! Stairs are enclosed. About 12 steps up, platform, then turn and about 12 more steps up. Would require the same remodeling to accommodate as putting in a dumbwaiter......

Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Hummmm.......living here now almost 6 years and should have posted then! Stairs are enclosed. About 12 steps up, platform, then turn and about 12 more steps up. Would require the same remodeling to accommodate as putting in a dumbwaiter......
I guess your other option is to put in a elevator. That way you could ride up with the groceries.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times
Look at it as good exercise

Old 08-07-2010, 05:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
We have 6 stairs up from our garage to our house due to flood construction requirements - but it looks like you have a full flight. Do you have enough space to put in a ramp (easier going up a ramp than a full flight of stairs). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House