Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 13,936 times

Advertisements

Looking to enclose a furnace in the basement, probably 18-24" clearance around it. From what I read, modern high efficiency furnaces do not need room air for combustion, they suck it from outside. Ours has no markings to indicate that it is high efficiency, but it does have two white plastic pipes that appear to vent outside, one with a 90 elbow on it. I just wanted to confirm these are the air supply/exhaust and i can box them in with no problem. I will have access through a screwed in panel that can give full access if necessary.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I'd still put a louvered double-door in place to access the furnace for service/replacement. Since you are not 100% certain what you have and what are the requirements it doesn't harm anything to make the ventilation allowance. Live with it for a year and you'll not even notice it aesthetically, IMO.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
Hi lacklustre,
Do you have the installation manual? Its all in there. If you don't have it; go to the manufacturer's website and read it or download it. Many new furnaces are " direct vent" meaning the combustion air comes from a dedicated pipe as you describe. Its all about what the manufacturer says though!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
If you have plastic pipes you do have a high efficiency unit. However, what you describe, the plastic pipe with the elbow is probably the combustion air. If the two pipes go outside, then it is getting its combustion air from outside, however, yours sounds like its still on the inside.

You also have to leave room for servicing the unit (in front of the service panels). IF you make it too close, it will be a nightmare for anyone that has to work on the unit, or when you replace it. Keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House