Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,527 times

Advertisements

We are just a few weeks prior to closing on a home that is nearly completed. About a month ago there was a leak in one of the pipes that has led to more than half of the home succumbing to extensive water and mold damage. We are highly disappointed because we had this home built exactly the way we like it with this recent damage being an exception of course. The builder is claiming that the chemical sprayed has eliminated all mold. However, how could this be so when the water leak originated from the top floor and leaked into 6 other rooms and the stairwell also? This water was leaking profusely through the pipes over the weekend without anyone there to know (they didn't work on the home over the weekend). As soon as they found the water, all that was done were fans to dry the wet areas and one dehumidifier to reverse the damage?......A month later we found that there was still water and mold EVERYWHERE in the bathroom from which it originated from. How about the other rooms that it leaked into? Why and how could the builder claim that there is no mold as he had claimed a month ago when in fact there was? If the builder completely strips the areas that even had so much as a drop of water on it and it is disposes of ALL materials that had mold and water damage and rebuilds with all brand new material before the house closes, could mold still be lingering? Can we have the builder build us a new home as this one is damaged while bailing out on the current contract? If it is repaired and all damaged disposed of before closing, does this constitute as information that has to be disclosed to future buyers? We are just really upset because we put in so much energy, money, and time into this home and we don't know what to do....Anyone have advice to what they would do in this situation or what they have heard can be done? As being a first home buyer, we are really inexperienced about situations such as this. We are hiring a real estate lawyer......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
The lawyer will have the answers. There are so many variables and details missing, the lawyer is the one to listen to and follow.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The lawyer will have the answers. There are so many variables and details missing, the lawyer is the one to listen to and follow.
Lawyers don't know s*** about mold, they only know how to rope you into lengthy litigation so as to make themselves lots of money. Seek out a licensed mold abatement company and pay the couple hundred bucks that they will charge to do extensive sampling and write you a report that you can hit your contractor over the head with and pressure him into fixing the problem he caused.

Mold likes organic substances and especially glue that is used in drywall, any of those areas that got wet will continue to grow and support mold if moisture or high humidity is present. Short of removing the damaged area, you won't get rid of the problem because the mold spores can grow even after months or years of inactivity.

Mold | Indoor Air Quality | US EPA

Old 05-22-2010, 05:35 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,738 times
Believe me....mold can be toxic!!! literally. I have rebult numerous huoses and only encountered toxic mold once and that was enough. I only ripped out a 4x8 section of wall to replace the insulation and drywall. (dry at te time) The homeowner helped me and this took about an hour. The next day I was unable to get out of bed and still couldn't the next day. I called the homeowner and he'd been getting iv antibiotics every 6 hours due to a lung infection. I thought I'd be tough and didn't have health insurance anyway so was on antibiotics and steroids for 2 weeks. Just because an area is dry doesn't mean it isn't harboring toxic mold. Yes there are varying degrees of mold.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 AM

32 posts, read 114,074 times
If you were rebuilding houses knowing it had mold, why did you not use the prescribed health safety measures susch as elbow long gloves, N95 Mask and protective suite? YES you are correct there are all forms of Mold/Mildew, all are FUNGUS. I am currently in a sort like position as lilah2010, and have done some research, Lot s and lots of it. Have even called the CPC and EPA. I have our builder come in this Monday with his SECOND mold inspector as the first one was a bogus one, and did treat it with sand paper and chlorine, all the WRONG things, read NOT to do things. I fear that our NEW house is now contaminated ALL over the place and closing date is the third week of August. As said by others, have / hire your own MOLD inspector, this is to have your own report. Next step is difficult, I know as we are on the point to let them choke in this house and buy a other NEW Mold FREE to be build house. It will suck, pardon my french, as we have been waiting since April for the house to finnish. BUT, the HEALTH of my family comes First. With our house the issue is that the Roof Frame has a mold due to the wood being wet from the Rain that week they had it delivered....my builder is Centex. I was glad when I found them but now they have a lot to make up, and this is only because they hired someone who was clearly NOT a certified Mold Inspector, so now we , that is both Centex and I have a serious problem. I will NOT close on this house if they do not treat the place according to EPA standards so that the mold will NEVER return. I hate it as I do Like the Centex houses. But its their fault for not following up on my Certified Inspectors report. THE QC or Quality Control has been less as what I thought it was but am giving them a chance to TRY to undo the wrong. As long as they can GURANTEE that no Mold will return in WRITTNG.but .... first things first.... they have ONE LAST chance to try and do the right thing. Oh before I forget, get in touch with your LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT, that is what I have to this Monday to see what they can do as I was told by the CDC (Control center for Desease?) that one needs to see ho Federal Law is or something to that order. Other thing, get a GOOD Lawyer. Take also a look here (Hyperlinked) LINK1 (http://web.bsu.edu/IEN/archives/2001/112201.htm - broken link), and this Link2 I found Link2 this evening, and it scared the heck out of me. The Wife is now even more worried after seeing the video from FOXDC NEWS. YOu have to do what is right for YOU, I know I will hope some of what I vented / wrote might help you .... remember, your health is priceless, see that video, I do not want to end up as that woman. GOOD LUCK ! I symphatize and pardon the write erros it has been late for me these last few weeks. Sincerely!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,698 times
I hear similar stories all the time. Water damage is not simple to cleanup. It is a very specialized area and just like any other trade takes years to master. Getting up standing water is pretty straight forward. you use a pump, vac or mop. It's the moisture in the floors, walls and ceilings that is hard to get too. Any time your home has been damaged by fire, water or flood you should hire a local water restoration expert. Water damage is covered by insurance. Mold is considered neglect and is not covered. Your home can be repaired but most likely not by a builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House