Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Wow. A voice of reason from someone who was actually in the lead paint business. Normally people who have or had an interest in promoting the hype about lead paint state things like "If you suspect that there may be lead paint in your home, immediately leave the building and call in the lead paint inspectors and hire a hazardous materials removal crew for thousands of dollars."

Although I do not recommend this and I did it out of ignorance not intentionally, but I spent months and months sanding and heat stripping lead paint with no respirator and often without opening a window. When I realized that I had been breathing large quantities of lead dust and fumes for quite a long time. I went and had my blood tested and the Dr said that I had no appreciable traces of lead in my blood. Thus, the worst thing that all that lead paint did to me was cost me about $200 or so (insurance does not cover when you are just curious about whether there is lead in your body).

That caused me to do a lot of research on lead paint and lead poisoning (followed by research on Radon, asbestos, mold and a couple of other popularly hyped "household "dangers" -I became convinced that all of them are mostly hype and not really a serious threat in my estimation. For a few people in extreme circumstances the danger can be very real and very serious, especially if oyu lick your walls or floors, or snort dust while remodeling. However driving on the freeway poses a far more immedaitely and substantive threat than any of these issues. ). People seem to love to have something to panic over. It is an interesting part of human psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 AM

373 posts, read 310,353 times
I too, am a Lead Based Paint Consultant and Lead Inspector.

Champion was testing, because of the Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule. If they only checked a couple of spots ... they checked incorrectly. They (as a Lead Safe Certified Firm, using a Certified Renovator) needed to check several spots on each window. They also need to check each and every window that they would be replacing.

For aluminum non-painted windows, they probably needed to check the window sill, the interior walls and possibly other areas that would be disturbed.

As far as health concerns with lead based paint, if left undisturbed, your risk are lower in having health problems. If disturbed (like with home improvement projects), it can cause problems. Hundreds of thousands of doctors, scientist, hospitals and researchers know that it does. To say it can't is disagreeing with these hundreds of thousands of professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House