U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM

12,545 posts, read 19,973,555 times

Advertisements

So I had home depot design team come over. they use a "sister company" for refacing, and they also do countertops.

I have a sofet (sp?), and i'd like to remove it, but don't know what's behind it. Would have to have a contractor do that first either way.

I'm wondering, brand new cabinets are expensive, but if we reface, we can get quality cabinets on the current frame. the inside would have to be papered with contact paper though, since they are currently white and we'd go with wood doors (or some material that looks like wood - not sure if it's better or not yet).

anyways, we'd then go with a Formica (or the competing brand) counter or Quartz. not a fan of granite.

wanted people's opinion. with the competing brand to Formica, our quote was $12,000. we have 32 ft of cabinets (which i guess the avg house is 25ft).

should we wait a while and do the full replacement, or is refacing quite alright?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,301,457 times
Refacing means the guts are still old. Because it's much more labor intensive, you're not saving any money. The fact that you have to paper the insides means it's not perfect in there either.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM

37,386 posts, read 66,941,251 times
If you're removing or reducing the soffit, you're going to have to remove the cabinets anyway. And since you're considering refacing the cabinets, you're not madly in love with them as is. I'd get new ones.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 PM

171 posts, read 510,235 times
I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing......I'm just scared to have someone come out and tell me how much my "ideas" are going to cost...LOL The house we moved into in June has 20 year old crappy cabinets. You can check out builder surplus warehouses/stores for decent deals. That's actually what I'm thinking of doing..........

Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM

29,985 posts, read 40,243,817 times
Please get more bids than just Home Depot. You might be surprised to find that a local custom cabinet maker might be both less expensive and offer better quality/service. I was able to get handmade kitchen cabinets by a local cabinet maker for 1/3 less than buying one of the brands carried by the large box stores, one of which you referenced.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM

15,358 posts, read 57,505,213 times
Refacing?
As desertsun41 would say:
NO! NO! NO!
And not just NO but, HELL NO!
Stay away from the big boxes! You can find plenty of "deals" at cabinet distributors. They don't sale at retail price (like big box). You may even strike a good deal with a custom cabinet shop. For instance:
New Jersey (NJ) Wood Kitchen Cabinets & Granite Countertops at Factory Direct Prices

Do lots- and I means lots of shopping around- get lots of ideas for accessories, options, etc. Finalize everything to a fairthewell- because change orders will empty your wallet.

Bottom line- Replace not Reface!!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 PM

863 posts, read 2,797,888 times
Please, please, get at least a couple other bids and get references. You will learn alot about your options and price points. Consumer Reports regularly does a series of articles on kitchen remodels, comparing counter tops, flooring, etc. both mfg reviews and where to buy. The last issue was a couple months ago, you could probably find the info on their web site.

Around here there are a several contractors/companies who do kitchen remodels. I'd get at least one bid from a contractor who can mange the entire project, sofets and all. IF you can manage do it all at once, you may get a better total price than breaking it out. OR if you opt to break it down and do it differently you'll have an idea of the total picture and what you want to do differently including where you spend your money and where to cut back.

The remodeling company we hired was fantastic and very professional. Our kitchen was small, total gut to completion was 7 business days.

It's generally not much cheaper, but a benefit to refacing is that you don't have to demo you kitchen entirely. If your cabinets are decent hardwood and the layout works, it might be an option. There are things like pullout drawers and metal baskets you can still add for efficiency. If you do consider resurfacing and don't want white inside, I'd have someone paint the insides with sprayer instead of contact paper. It gets grimy over time. Actually depending on what you do, white could still work nicely. Our cabinets were 15 year old contractor grade (cheap) and simply not worth trying to keep. We have quartz counters and an undermount sink. I simply love it.

It pays to take your time and do your homework as mistakes are very expensive.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM

12,545 posts, read 19,973,555 times
well....thanks for the replies. i definitely have a long way to go. but...

consumer reports rates home depot as one of the top places to purchase from, for refacing. i'm not sure i understand the anti-big box sentiment. economies of scale in their corner, they are usually tough to beat on pricing. i know you can negotiate more with local contractors, and i certainly will be shopping around, but local shops can easily disappear on you halfway through the project.

i have to scope my neighborhood and ask neighbors if they've done this also, see who they used.

i have a connection for a contractor in NJ, so i also need to talk to him. it's a solid, trustworthy family connection, so he can at least point me to good people in NJ if he doesn't do the specific type of work himself.

so - it sounds like most people think new cabinetry is best, and refacing is not worthwhile? i am perfectly happy with the layout of my kitchen, but i could be persuaded to shift things around also.

glad to hear zoso is happy with his/her quartz counters. i really want to do it. i hated my experiences with granite in apartments we lived in. so grimy, very soft, just not my thing.

ok folks! thanks for the opinions!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 9,060,690 times
desertsun41 must be away for the weekend. I was sure he would have already chimed in.

If you do reface, why bother doing anything with the interiors? A white interior will make things brighter inside. Nobody's going to see it unless the door/drawer is open.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:18 PM

10,876 posts, read 12,883,969 times
don't reface, it's really just a waste of money. I had a few bids when i redid by kitchen and the cost was as much, and often more to reface then put in new cabinets. Kitchen remodels aren't cheap, and not a place to cut corners, but in the end it's worth it, not to mention add quite a bit of value to the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House