Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

We're doing all kinds of fun stuff to the house. Making it much nicer at which time we'll sell it and someone else gets to enjoy all of our hard work. LOL.

One of the next things I'm thinking of is removing a standard double window (each is about 3 feet wide and 5 feet tall and they're right against each other with a stud in the center to secure them) and putting in a garden window. It's in the dining room and not really a 'bay window' but an area where the house sticks out a bit further than the living or entry area.

Because it's across from the kitchen I'd like to have our contractor put in cabinets that match the kitchen and put the garden window there and we'll put in granite tiles on the entire surface including inside the window itself so it will match the granite tiles on the kitchen surfaces.

I did a quick 'floorplan' though it's not to scale, just to give you an idea of the layout of the house. Does anyone think it's a do-able plan? And suggestions or tips on the install? Reasons to scrap the plan?

Our ultimate goal is to finish our projects in one to two years and sell the house and move up north. It's guesstimated to be between 80 and 100 years old and over the years has had many additions. It's on some land in a very rural area of middle TN in mostly farming community. We're probably the middle ground for homes in the area. Some are brand new very upscale homes in a subdivision or a couple really nice old brick turn of the century farmhouses or new log homes, while others are very old run down trailers.

We've got about 2550 sq ft under air. Originally an old hunting cabin that's been added and added to and then put brick facing on that looks hideous. So I'd say we fall somewhere in the middle of the neighborhood. I'm trying to stay there but make it a bit nicer. Seems the people buying in the area are from Florida and are looking for the higher end of the mid level. They want a nice home but still want the cheap price. I don't want to over do it and put in top of the line everything and spend a fortune and never get it back but I don't want to sell it bare bones like it is now either.

This is the type of garden window style I'm thinking. Instead of the wood inside it would have the granite tile.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
With the window area of about 6' wide by 5' tall, I'd put in a bay window. A garden window looks like, a garden window and to me, will have a dated look after a few years. A bay window will look elegant, sleeker and likely add value. We went with a bay window in our kitchen about the same size and we tiled it to match our counters.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I had garden windows installed in my living room and dining room. It was the best remodeling $$$ I've ever spent. The rooms look so much larger and lighter and I love tending to the plants (which I never did before). My only regret is that I didnt have the kitchen window area enlarged.

I posted photos in this thread. You cant really see the kitchen garden window but I included the photo to show how I had both windows lined, on all four sides, with granite to match the kitchen counter:
Do you have a kitchen green house window?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House