Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,143,323 times

Advertisements

Ive got an old furnace and there is no insulation on the duct work. What is the recommended R level for insulation I should use? I live in Connecticut where it can get very cold to very hot depending on time of year.

The duct on top of the furnace/blower is flat. I havent found a good range of choices of sheathing to use. I wanted to use 3/4 inch but that only gets me about a 3 R level. Id think I would want something higher than that. I really didnt want to use 2 inches worth just to get a 10 R level. Does anyone know of anything with a higher R level but small thickness?

Also, the duct that takes air from the house, should that be insulated as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,143,421 times
Look at the section "Duct Wrap":

http://www.certainteed.com/resources/3036081.pdf

It will give you a couple of charts about "R" values and "K" values, acoustic values, etc. Those values will be pretty much the same regardless of manufacturer.

On the old metal type duct work, return lines were generally not insulated. Of course with today's flex duct being used it would be. THe main advantage to insulating a return of your type would be mainly for acoustical purposes.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,143,323 times
Thanks K'ledge

I want to insulate my air handler. Ive started insulating the duct work with wrapping. I was thinking of using sheathing for the air handler. Any recommendations other than sheathing?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Default If duct work is in "temperate conditioned" space...

The value of insulating the ductwork that is heated / colled space is minimal, and if your use lightweight rigid sheeting or foam odds are high you will have acoustic issues.

Now it the ducts are passing through unheated / uncooled space then I would strongly recommend using as much high quality insulation as you can get around those ducts. While it might create a problem for future service / renovation I would suggest spray on closed cell foam, as much the company can pump...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
If you wrap the ducts make sure they are properly sealed, mastic works well. If you spray foam that's a all-in-one product that insulates and seals. I'd recommend spray foam if you don't think you'll be replacing the ducts anytime soon. You also may want to make sure that all your rooms are evenly heated/cooled which means the ducts are properly sized for your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House