Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone here has an idea. We got a Rubbermaid Roughneck storage shed (7' x 7'). A friend gave it to us, so it's used. We reassembled it and all was good except there is a membrane (i think?) missing from the top two roof pieces, the top peak of the roof. The pieces fit together, but it is not water tight. What can we used to seal it up? If I could find a piece of vinyl or something that we could adhere to the top, that would be great, but I can't find one. We only need something a few inches wide. Someone suggested we could just put some spray foam in there, but I don't know if I want to do that. Any ideas? Oh, I already checked for replacement parts and can't find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 04:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Why not call Rubbermaid and ask if the missing part is available for sale?

Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Moistureguard and then paint. You may find i locally, link for illustrative purposes only.

https://www.doitbest.com/products/120758

The material is used on trailer roofs as the primary seal against water. Painting over the top of it and the rest of the roof makes it look better and last longer.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM

388 posts, read 200,436 times
ask your hardware store (or home improvement store) for "flexible roofing material" and nail it on there.

flexible, so it can go over both sides of the peak. also ask them if they have a better idea, because this is just the first thing that i thought of. it might not work at all.

i did look up "flexible roofing material" to be certain there is such a thing. also, if its rubbermaid, you probably dont want to use nails. this is why i like about hardware and home improvement stores-- if the task is small and simple, you can just ask.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:04 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Hoping someone here has an idea. We got a Rubbermaid Roughneck storage shed (7' x 7'). A friend gave it to us, so it's used. We reassembled it and all was good except there is a membrane (i think?) missing from the top two roof pieces, the top peak of the roof. The pieces fit together, but it is not water tight. What can we used to seal it up? If I could find a piece of vinyl or something that we could adhere to the top, that would be great, but I can't find one. We only need something a few inches wide. Someone suggested we could just put some spray foam in there, but I don't know if I want to do that. Any ideas? Oh, I already checked for replacement parts and can't find anything.
First off, look at the assembly instructions online to be sure you not missing any parts or pieces and then make sure all pieces are clean, line up correctly and snap into position as indicated.

If so and it still leaks I would imagine a silicone caulk applied at the roof joints would be your only safeguard against leaking.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 PM

I have tried to get in touch with Rubbermaid with no luck. We did download assembly instructions before putting it together. It looks like the two roof pieces originally had this sort of thing already attached to them. Ours don't. I was at Home Depot earlier today and didn't see anything that I thought would work, which is how I ended up here. I did ask, but no one there was of any great help.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Moistureguard and then paint. You may find i locally, link for illustrative purposes only.

https://www.doitbest.com/products/120758

The material is used on trailer roofs as the primary seal against water. Painting over the top of it and the rest of the roof makes it look better and last longer.
I did see similar products at Home Depot, but I hate spending $60 for something I'm only going to use a few feet of. I may just have to suck it up, though.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I did see similar products at Home Depot, but I hate spending $60 for something I'm only going to use a few feet of. I may just have to suck it up, though.
Ask a roofing company if they have a scrap of the material.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Buy the smallest quantity of roofing paper you can buy, and a can of roofing cement ("Tar in a can"). Lay down a coat of tar, put the paper on top, over the ridge, apply more tar. Done.

Wear old clothes because that tar is not coming out.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:19 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
What about the FlexSeal products (as seen on TV)? They hold boats together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House