Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 22,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That color is certianly viable for your house. I really like the earth tones from that period.

This is the house that I had in mind. If you are facing south, it is the second house shown on the right (the dark green one). I am not sure whether you can see this or not. It is very dark, but on a small house, it looks good. Several houses on this street are painted in the approriate craftsman earth tone colors.

1226 north french street santa ana ca - Google Maps

Love the homes on that street! So much character!! Thanks for the suggestion and sharing the pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Defintely earth tones. I would NOT recommend SW paint. It just doesn't last more than 5 years. It fades, chips and peels. Also you want to watch out for mildew in such a shady spot.

If your only other choice is BM, then go with that one. I would check with Consumer's Reports on paints and use them as a guide.

You also may want to check into a new application that sprays on and isn't paint but isn't vinyl siding either. I don't know much about it but I have heard it advertised on the radio. Their moniker is "never paint your house again"...which means I guess you better be sure about your colors.
The reason I was leaning toward SW was because I had read that their Duration paint (around $50 a gallon) was the best to use. I will definitely look into other options though. I have never heard of the spray on siding. Interesting.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenk1013 View Post
The reason I was leaning toward SW was because I had read that their Duration paint (around $50 a gallon) was the best to use. I will definitely look into other options though. I have never heard of the spray on siding. Interesting.
A friend of mine is a pro painter and his son is a SW Company rep as well. He agrees with me that SW isn't the best paint but you get what you pay for sometimes. $50 per gal is expensive so that may be a good selection but I would do some research in the Consumer's Reports because they can't be fooled by slick campaigns or bs. Definitely shop around when it comes to paint for the outdoors. What do you have for siding? Clapboard? Shingles?

Is it wood? Because if it is wood, I personally favor oil based paint since it penetrates the wood so much better, feeds the wood with its oil, but your painting contractor will hate you since it takes solvents to clean it up.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
A friend of mine is a pro painter and his son is a SW Company rep as well. He agrees with me that SW isn't the best paint but you get what you pay for sometimes. $50 per gal is expensive so that may be a good selection but I would do some research in the Consumer's Reports because they can't be fooled by slick campaigns or bs. Definitely shop around when it comes to paint for the outdoors. What do you have for siding? Clapboard? Shingles?

Is it wood? Because if it is wood, I personally favor oil based paint since it penetrates the wood so much better, feeds the wood with its oil, but your painting contractor will hate you since it takes solvents to clean it up.
It is wood so thank you for the suggestion to go to an oil based paint. I will definitely check into the Consumer Reports ratings. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
When I looked into exterior paint, I learned that there is not a huge difference but some are a bit better than others. THere are a few that are junk and will fail (just do not buy cheap paint) but most will hold up pretty well. One company, I think it is called Graham makes a ceramic based paint that is very very durable, but it costs a lit (I think it is over $100 per gallon). Keep in mind that better paints coat better so you do not need as many coats.

Dunn Edwards and Benjamin moore made really good exterior paint as of about 5 years ago. Remember, which paint is the best quality changes over time and they do not know which one is the best until it has been on the market for a while. So it is really a bit of a guess. Fortunately, most of the better exterior pains are excellent.

Consumer reports often says that Behr (Home Depot) paint is the best exterior paint, but if you ask professional painters, they uniformly disagree (or did as of 5 years ago). Also within differnt brands there are different quality levels. Thus, while SW lower level paint may be junk their higher quality paint may well be very good or execellent.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenk1013 View Post
It is wood so thank you for the suggestion to go to an oil based paint. I will definitely check into the Consumer Reports ratings. Thanks!
Here is an alternative to paint and vinyl siding:

Permanent Coatings never paint again exterior interior

Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 AM

1 posts, read 575 times
Congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-fa...ax_wizard=true

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
How about a nice gray with an orange door? I think that would look really nice on that quite lush lot. Something like this?

When To Paint Your Door Orange
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House