Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,242,318 times

Advertisements

When I was an inspector in Los Angeles, we had an old guy in the office that lived to give people a hard time. He just had to prove he was the boss. It drove the rest of us crazy.
Since I was also a contractor, I knew what it was like on the other side, and would try to be reasonable when I had my inspector hat on. However, when confronted by the egomaniac contractor, I could also put my jerk hat on. The bottom line was they needed my signature.

We had a plan checker that was the nicest guy, unless you crossed him. Then it was "cross all the t's, and dot all the i's".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 03:37 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Grosse Ile mi
A population of 10,000 people? Oh brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
When I was an inspector in Los Angeles, we had an old guy in the office that lived to give people a hard time. He just had to prove he was the boss. It drove the rest of us crazy.
Since I was also a contractor, I knew what it was like on the other side, and would try to be reasonable when I had my inspector hat on. However, when confronted by the egomaniac contractor, I could also put my jerk hat on. The bottom line was they needed my signature.

We had a plan checker that was the nicest guy, unless you crossed him. Then it was "cross all the t's, and dot all the i's".
L A is probably a tough place to hold any type of public servant job. I know the city of Chicago is. My brother was a fire safety inspector in Charleston South Carolina, and he used to hear all the complaints of being fair. But some people just dislike other people doing or enforcing things by the book. Those that dislike things being done by the book fail to understand that rules are in place to protect them and other people as well.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,482,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
A population of 10,000 people? Oh brother.

L A is probably a tough place to hold any type of public servant job. I know the city of Chicago is. My brother was a fire safety inspector in Charleston South Carolina, and he used to hear all the complaints of being fair. But some people just dislike other people doing or enforcing things by the book. Those that dislike things being done by the book fail to understand that rules are in place to protect them and other people as well.
Then they should make sure they are enforced "by the book" and not open to "this contractor is being a jerk so I will be, too" or "this guy is good friends with my brother-in-law, so I'll let this slip past". I believe that all anyone is asking for is fair treatment, every time.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Then they should make sure they are enforced "by the book" and not open to "this contractor is being a jerk so I will be, too" or "this guy is good friends with my brother-in-law, so I'll let this slip past". I believe that all anyone is asking for is fair treatment, every time.
Oh, I'm well aware of that arrangement alright, pay to play stuff. I'm sure big cities are full of that kind of corruption. Some small ones too, especially in a city where everybody knows everybody, and choice of contractors are limited, and nobody from the "outside" is good or qualified enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House