Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Screw all the theorys. Rule of thumb. All cabinet run endings have the hinges on the end. The pantry is on the left end, the hinges go on the left end so yours are wrong. These doors are easilly reversable but an arch door style obviously is not.

Next rule of thumb. Any drawer over 27" wide gets 2 handles or knobs unless of course you use those long bar handles.

From there you will have no more rules but rather personal choices. You can do handles on all, knobs on all, or handles on drawers and knobs on doors or visa verse.

The knob will go on the center of the stile parallel with the top of the rail. Sometimes one inch up from the top of the rail which is what I strongly prefer. A handle, the bottom of the handle goes where I described above.

On the top pantry door I follow the same rule as described above. But the taller bottom door I place the handle or nob where my arm is at a 90 degree angle standing in front of it. This puts it in an ergonomically perfect location.

The vast majority of cabinet door styles do not need any hardware. Most have a back cut of about 20 degrees which are easy to grab and pull without breaking your finger nails so it's a personal choice. On partial overlay doors with this back cut you really don't need any hardware. On full overlay doors it's just about mandatory since you could not get your fingers between the doors and drawer faces to open them.

First time I ever really liked your choice in cabinets Lisa. I'm still certain you over paid for them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The uppers to the right of the fridge are the way I would want them.
The base to the right I would swing the other way.
And I'd reverse the swing on the pantry.

dedratermi- The doors can be easily reversed by flipping them around, since the hardware hasn't been installed. European hidden hinges mount to the face frame. Un-mount from face frame, flip door 180 degrees and remount.
That's what I would do.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,475 times
Flip the pantry doors, and the one to the right of the refer, it has to match the base cab below it, come on lol. Everything else should be fine, your killing me not putting any crown though, it would pop so much! As for my location of the pantry knob, i would put it 3 inches down from the top of the door, i've seen builders put them in the middle, but I don't care for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House