Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times

Advertisements

As today's winner I'll say congrats on a good job.

When using, letting it run longer each time, doing the "Ice thing" every so often, along with the baking soda/vinegar thing, with an occasional paper towel wipe should keep things from smelling.

I also like grinding up orange and lemon rinds every so often....smells nice. It took awhile to get that bad........normal upkeep will keep that from happening.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 05:24 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,256 times
Thanks,Frank. I will for sure stay on top of it from now on.

I thought I read somewhere once though that grinding lemon and orange rinds leaves an oil issue? Or maybe that's where the extended rinsing comes in....

I would have liked to just pulled up the splash guard (AKA "rubber thingy") to wash it, but I was afraid my non-handy self would not be able to get it back ON.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,397 times
Cleaning the rubber flapper and the top of the disposal basin( the slanted top walls) is going to eliminate some pretty gross smelling deposits. If you have a dishwasher airgap hose connected to the side of the disposal; stuff is being deposited into that nipple and tube and boy does it stink! I "invented" a brush which is basically a brush that you clean fishtank air tubes with, I connected it to a flexible rod and I run it down the air gap into the disposal and it pushed that stuff into the disposal( not running at the time!) and then cleans the inside of that discharge hose. If you don't want to make one of those, you can simply disconnect that hose and clean it( yuck!). The disposal can be cleaned,but, I'm afraid there are no shortcuts as the stinky material is predominantly deposited in the higher, hard to reach areas of the disposal.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
This is making me want to get rid of my disposal! LOL

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Now it should be time for you to check the rubber gasket that lines the dishwasher, especially at the bottom hinge area- guess what you are gonna find? Oh Yeah!

Same cleaning tips will suffice though.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Foaming Disposal Cleaner:

Summit Brands - Specialty Cleaning Products Homepage

They also make a dishwasher cleaner that great for vinyl and SS tubs

Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
I run the water till it gets hot then I cut the water off fill it up with ice, to the brim, and insert the closest dish detergent and turn it on and after a few seconds of running cut the hot water back on. The ice also helps keep the teeth sharp. Contrary to popular belief it's not the teeth in the bottom of the disposal that chops the debris up it's the centrifugal force of the debris being pushed to the walls, where the actual teeth are (like a cheese shredder), of the disposal that breaks it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House