U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,977,945 times

Advertisements

For the record, I HATE garbage disposals in kitchen sinks. I basically don't use mine at all for that purpose; I throw food waste directly into the regular wastebasket.

That said, "stuff" residue from rinsing dinner plates or cat dishes does get on those black rubber "finger" flaps on the top of the disposal. I've tried letting baking soda sit on them and poured suds and stuff but they're still funky and something in there smells.

HELP? Ideas??? Thanks!

(P.S. I'm in a rental apartment or I'd cut off the damm things!!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,803,105 times
Yes. Happy to help.
The smell is coming from rotten food that is hiding under the rubber thing around the drain.

You can buy special cleaner that is supposed to help this, but they are just overpriced and do not work that well.
First.....making sure the unit cannot turn on by either turning off the breaker to it, etc. making sure you will not turn your fingers into a bloody mush make sure the unit cannot turn on.

THEN, take paper towels and stick them with your hand down through the rubber part, and clean the underside of it. You will be amazed. Also, take a flashlight and look down there and see if you see old food, etc. Clean it. You will have to do this a few times, using like 1/2 a roll. It is gross.

Turn the unit back on.

Chop up ice cubes down there to dislodge any gunk. Use orange and lemon rinds also to freshen. Some bleach also if you like.

Basically this happens when folks do not leave the unit running long enough. you need to let it run with water running for at least 30 seconds or more AFTER stuff is ground up, so stuff does not stick down there and rot.

Then after, keep it clean by doing the above more often.

Frank

Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 PM

8,307 posts, read 36,820,611 times
I would also add that I (i) haven't met a "rubber thingy" yet that could not easily be removed with a light pulling type of action and run through the dishwasher and (ii) have found some really nasty "digest" in the trap and/or horizontal drain pipe off of a disposer, so if the above doesn't help you may want to take apart the plumbing for a cleaning ALTHOUGH in many places you are expected to pull a permit and be a licensed tradesman to break a seal on a trap.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 PM

24,854 posts, read 33,106,541 times
I have the same problem. The only way I've found to get rid of the smell is to use a sponge and softscrub to clean the underside of the rubber flaps. Gross. I'll try the above suggestions too! Thanks!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM

14,685 posts, read 12,438,093 times
That rubber thingy is a splash guard. You can remove it and clean it. If it makes you ill to think about touching it, put on your rubber gloves, pull it out, soak it in bleach and water and use a brush to clean the build up. If there is waste inside that hasn't gone down the drain, that will cause odors, too. I know that cleaning the splash guard periodically really helps.
Good luck with it.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM

37,266 posts, read 66,840,006 times
I keep the disposal clean by running baking soda and vinegar down the disposal. Let it bubble and sit for awhile, and flush with hot water.

Then add some ice cubes and running cold water, and turn the disposal on until the cubes are chopped up and flushed down the drain.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM

26,343 posts, read 88,073,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post

That said, "stuff" residue.....from cat dishes does get on those black rubber "finger" flaps on the top of the disposal.
I don't know which is more disgusting...having a litter box with cat poo sitting around an apartment all day or throwing unused, moist, cat food into the garbage disposal.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks, everyone!

As for Charles...get help <G>. Consider my user name...?
For the record, you'd never know walking into my place that there is a litter box. I stay on top of it.

And I don't scrape big chunks of food -- human or cat -- into the disposal, as explained. But tiny bits do go there when I rinse off plates. I'll have to just wipe the cat dishes off completely going forward after I follow the above instructions to whip the rubber thingy into shape!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,498,206 times
Take the rubber thing off and put it in the dishwasher. If you used your disposal more it would actually keep the smell down. You can also try grinding orange or lemon peals in there to keep odors down.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Okay, update.

O.M.G. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG........

Whoever said "half a roll of paper towels" is today's winner.....
that and one sponge and two vinyl gloves.

YIKES!! What c rapola was under the black thingies!! Couldn't make too much of a dent in the floor of the metal canister itself but when I next have baking soda in the house I will try the bubble-up with vinegar.

I also thought I broke it after I plugged it back in (first order of business, as well-advised, was to unplug it) it kept making a metal-like clinking sound. I switched the cords (one for disposal, other for dishwasher) in the outlet, and for whatever reason, it's back to normal. Also was a masticated plastic water bottle top in there.

Is there some entrepreneurial brainstorm in inventing something that sits in there all the time and keeps things fresh???

At least I feel like I have accomplished something today!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House