Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Thanks so much, i may have to, he walked off of the job, with so much work yet to be done, what do i do now. And he has broken stuff to boot. So many rooms yet to be done.
I really think it's your best option at this point. I'm not sure how California runs it, but Arizona will send someone out to inspect the job, and force the contractor to make good on the job or pay for it to be done, if contractor is found to be at fault. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
OP, I do know about the stress and worries. Right now I am having all the carpet ripped up and laminate put down in my house. I have a handyman that is doing it for cheap (and he's done lots of good work on my house), but he has had a couple of helpers that really concerned me. I could just see getting sued for using this kind of help, but the price has always been right. As they say, you get what you pay for.

I am also in touch with a licensed contractor and may end up having to go that route. Of course, I have to make sure if I do go that route (and not knowing him at all) that he is insured along with any helpers.

The current handyman had his friend come and help the other day. I had visions of fingers being chopped off due to all of the sawing. Yeah, it's cheaper, but the stress is still there. I could be on the hook for a LOT of money if things were to go wrong.

You do say that your guy is licensed. It may be reasonable to ask him to only have people who are insured on the property. I don't know. The last big job I had done with this handyman I told him I didn't want his helper helping. So that problem went away. However, those were only two person jobs and sounds to me like you're dealing with much bigger jobs. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
OP, I do know about the stress and worries. Right now I am having all the carpet ripped up and laminate put down in my house. I have a handyman that is doing it for cheap (and he's done lots of good work on my house), but he has had a couple of helpers that really concerned me. I could just see getting sued for using this kind of help, but the price has always been right. As they say, you get what you pay for.

I am also in touch with a licensed contractor and may end up having to go that route. Of course, I have to make sure if I do go that route (and not knowing him at all) that he is insured along with any helpers.

The current handyman had his friend come and help the other day. I had visions of fingers being chopped off due to all of the sawing. Yeah, it's cheaper, but the stress is still there. I could be on the hook for a LOT of money if things were to go wrong.

You do say that your guy is licensed. It may be reasonable to ask him to only have people who are insured on the property. I don't know. The last big job I had done with this handyman I told him I didn't want his helper helping. So that problem went away. However, those were only two person jobs and sounds to me like you're dealing with much bigger jobs. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your concern, and believe me stress is so unreal, i don't even want to face my days, they seem not to be getting better. At this point we are going to try and make a pay settlement with him for the work that he does not want to finish, and that he has not done right. I am going to break it to him about knowing that he has no workers comp right at the very end, i will break it to him, because he knows, he is in violation of the calif law. Also there are things stated in the contract that is stated were going to be done, and they have not been, or i have done them, i will also get compensated for those things to. I am more mad then anything else, license big freaking deal yea he has one, by the look at some of his work, you would never know it. Before you sign that dotted line, the contractors some of them are like tea and honey, all nice and sweet then after you sign the contract, they change, some of them. I will not put up with it, that is what he has not counted on. I also know about the lien waiver one must sign at the end of the project, so they cannot put a lien on your property. And he has to sign it also, And if there is a new payment arrangement, he is going to draft up a new part of the original contract, stating what is happening, and he will sign it. I have been putting up with this mess for 4 months now straight, and i have had it.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your concern, and believe me stress is so unreal, i don't even want to face my days, they seem not to be getting better. At this point we are going to try and make a pay settlement with him for the work that he does not want to finish, and that he has not done right. I am going to break it to him about knowing that he has no workers comp right at the very end, i will break it to him, because he knows, he is in violation of the calif law. Also there are things stated in the contract that is stated were going to be done, and they have not been, or i have done them, i will also get compensated for those things to. I am more mad then anything else, license big freaking deal yea he has one, by the look at some of his work, you would never know it. Before you sign that dotted line, the contractors some of them are like tea and honey, all nice and sweet then after you sign the contract, they change, some of them. I will not put up with it, that is what he has not counted on. I also know about the lien waiver one must sign at the end of the project, so they cannot put a lien on your property. And he has to sign it also, And if there is a new payment arrangement, he is going to draft up a new part of the original contract, stating what is happening, and he will sign it. I have been putting up with this mess for 4 months now straight, and i have had it.
I hear you. I have no contract at all with this guy. He was to have been here at 11 this morning and didn't show until 1:30. Then he left at 3:50 and asked for more money. Also, he told me it's hard working in the afternoon. Hello! He didn't get here until 1:30! So, I am to leave the key under my doormat tomorrow morning for him and his worker to come in. I am having second thoughts. I am thinking of calling it off and just giving him a check for what he's done so far and hiring this other licensed guy. Yeah, it will cost more but maybe not in the long run.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I hear you. I have no contract at all with this guy. He was to have been here at 11 this morning and didn't show until 1:30. Then he left at 3:50 and asked for more money. Also, he told me it's hard working in the afternoon. Hello! He didn't get here until 1:30! So, I am to leave the key under my doormat tomorrow morning for him and his worker to come in. I am having second thoughts. I am thinking of calling it off and just giving him a check for what he's done so far and hiring this other licensed guy. Yeah, it will cost more but maybe not in the long run.

You just never know, i thought the same thing, because this nutcase is licensed. Sounded great, talked good, had references, so what the hek went wrong, he bid on this project much too low. But i understand sorry contractors, but a lot of them bid on projects very low, and at the end pull this sort of crap, that is what it is. Make sure to see the license number and verify it. Make sure if you do go with someone licesned, that he does have workers comp, and unlike me please verify it. Hello your guy hardly did any work, what work, and he wants to get paid, ridiculous.I don't like the idea of leaving the key under the door mat, not saying anything were to happen, but these days you just cannot be to safe, know what i mean. I don't care who they are, i don't trust anyone in my home, if i am not here. The messes these guys make, and the doors that were kept open, a couple times, they left the doors open, and our dogs had gotten out, my daughter loves her babies, her dogs, and if anything were to happen to them, because these guys left the door opened, she would literally hurt them, believe me. My dogs don't even like the guys any more, something happened, they use to but not now. Just be careful no matter who it is you pick to do your work, and good luck.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 AM

He has turned out to be the Contractor from hell. Has completely walked away from the job, with so much yet to do, such as a kitchen island, and a bar, walls and paint texture, a ceiling has to be completely redone, it looks like crap. Moulding has to be put in. So much of the project has gotten done and looks really great, while other things will never get done, and so many things have not been done right at all. Going to file a complaint against him, after i track him down, and get my revenge, sort of, just venting, otherwise, i am going to go nuts. I have already told The contractors State Board, about his employees because he states that he has none, now my revenge is coming.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
He has turned out to be the Contractor from hell. Has completely walked away from the job, with so much yet to do, such as a kitchen island, and a bar, walls and paint texture, a ceiling has to be completely redone, it looks like crap. Moulding has to be put in. So much of the project has gotten done and looks really great, while other things will never get done, and so many things have not been done right at all. Going to file a complaint against him, after i track him down, and get my revenge, sort of, just venting, otherwise, i am going to go nuts. I have already told The contractors State Board, about his employees because he states that he has none, now my revenge is coming.
I am sorry to hear this......

It makes us all look bad and that is just not true.

That is why I will not take a dime until the project passes inspection.

I even pay up front for the permit.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am sorry to hear this......

It makes us all look bad and that is just not true.

That is why I will not take a dime until the project passes inspection.

I even pay up front for the permit.

Thanks so much for caring. I am just besides myself, he has took the fun right out of this job, boy oh boy, the beginning was going great, until he realized that he bid too low on the job, and that comes back to him, nothing with me at all. I understand we still need to have him sign papers, is there any paper he should sign besides the lien waiver for final payment. Should he state that he is walking away from the job in writing, and that we all agree, at this point i don't want someone here who does not want to be here, it is showing up in his work. Thanks so much

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for caring. I am just besides myself, he has took the fun right out of this job, boy oh boy, the beginning was going great, until he realized that he bid too low on the job, and that comes back to him, nothing with me at all. I understand we still need to have him sign papers, is there any paper he should sign besides the lien waiver for final payment. Should he state that he is walking away from the job in writing, and that we all agree, at this point i don't want someone here who does not want to be here, it is showing up in his work. Thanks so much
The waiver should do it.

Make sure there are no charges in your name he has made. At this point I would have to see the materials.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The waiver should do it.

Make sure there are no charges in your name he has made. At this point I would have to see the materials.
Thanks so much, out of my life he is, and how sad, in the beginning everything was get up and go, and excitmement to start this project, and some where in the middle, things went haywire, he really did bid low on this job, but that is his fault not mine, and contractors should seriously think twice before taking a job, they really have no intentions of finishing or by bidding too low, at the end try to make up for it with more money, would not work with me. Thanks again for caring. Too bad your not out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House