U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 AM

19,894 posts, read 17,201,889 times

Advertisements

Having work done on a huge remodel, and additions with a licensed contrator in O.C. CALIF. My problem is that this contractor is constantly thowing up into my face, that he has underbided this job. He seems to have lost interest, and said my husband and i are nit pickers, well yeah when they do a shi-- job you beta we do. Problem is there has been at least 11 guys at one time on our job site. Recently found out that my contractor has not had workers comp for quite a while. Also found out that one of the guys maybe a couple of have worked on my kitchen, are not licensed, does this matter at all. I am not happy with the fact that he does not have workers comp, and never told me. Also, i recently had to pay him more money, for some items that he said were not covered in our contract, which was not specified, how in the hek do i know what medium grade is, if their is no dollar amount specefied. He is giving me grief right now, and the things he is doing he is screwin- up royally, is there anything that i can do. For gosh sakes his guys even screw up the paint job, a kid could do better, and the walls look like crap. I am pissed beyond words, i need help from a decent contractor. When i paid him more money, because he says that some of the items were not of medium grade quality, even though he did not write up another contract, does this matter, so right now i have gone over my contract price, after i pay him the final payment, which if he keeps this up, he is not getting it all. I am unhappy with a lot of his work, do i have any recourse.

Last edited by california-jewel; 10-01-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM

5,356 posts, read 17,479,543 times
If he doesn't have workers comp coverage, you can be liable if any worker is injured at your house. I'd stop work immediately until he can show proof of coverage. Also, if and when he does show proof, verify it. I'd also check your contract to see what your options are for terminating the contractor.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:35 AM

Problem is now every time we point out something that these guys have screwe- up they fix it allright, they make it worse then how bad it was, i am beyond a loss of words. If husband had the time which he does not, he could of done much better, we had before when we were much younger we added on to a home ourselves, and our imspections passed with flying colors, so i am not use to having professionals licensed at that, not working up to par with what my husband would have done. Now they have put a brown coat on our home and guess what, it does not match, at this time i just do not know where to turn, without some strangling going on. Is there someone i can call to check their work, the finished work which is what everyone sees, does not have to be inspected, and that sucks big time, the finish work is what we all see.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM

15,396 posts, read 57,614,556 times
Considering you have a contract- You should seek legal advise from an attorney. C-D is not the place for legal advise.
And, the only thing we know/hear is your side.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Fair enough, but one only has to take one look at certain things that they did, to know they are not doing their best, another contractor i had in here, even told me to fire him. Absoutely, i may have to consult an attorney, thank goodness there is one in the family, may help.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM

15,396 posts, read 57,614,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
...another contractor i had in here, even told me to fire him.
Just about any "money hungry" contractor would agree with you and say fire him/her (they certainly don't want to lose work if they're involved)- just on the off chance they'll get the job!
But, I can assure you most contractors hate fixing other people"s FU"S!.
And if they do take them on- it's half again as much money because of the tear-out and redo, + +.

Good Luck-

Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,603,571 times
Fire them right away. Do not pay any more money. Document all defiencies and call a lawyer.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just about any "money hungry" contractor would agree with you and say fire him/her (they certainly don't want to lose work if they're involved)- just on the off chance they'll get the job!
But, I can assure you most contractors hate fixing other people"s FU"S!.
And if they do take them on- it's half again as much money because of the tear-out and redo, + +.

Good Luck-

No you do not know me. My contractor will have to pay who ever fixes what his guys have screw-- up, or he does not get all of his money. Found out anyways that he is suppose to have workers comp, he has not for over 10 years, Trouble for him, because i know for a fact, that he has employees that work for him, i have my ways of finding things out. The guy that would fix the walls, is 4 generations of doing this, it is his life, he left my home so pissed, because of what he saw he even said have this contractor call me up, i will set him straight, Thanks for responding back to me.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 AM

238 posts, read 578,519 times
talk with an attorney. sometimes all it takes is a letter from an attorney to make these type of contractors go away.

for the next contractor, get references for similar type jobs, go see the job if possible, call previous customer and ask every single question you can think of - esp how contractor handles problems, if they show up daily for a reasonable amount of hours to make progress on the job, etc., etc. one of the questions i now ask every contractor no matter what the size job is - do you work multiple jobs at the same time. for the size of your project (addition), they should only be working on your job for the most part. pick contractor according to the previous customer responses.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 AM

29,674 posts, read 37,072,037 times
Red flags everywhere. From the complaints of underbidding to bringing in unlicensed contractors. This screams that the contractor wanted your money and wanted to do it on his end as cheap and as fast as possible. Even if he finished it's not likely, if you find problems later on down the road, you'll ever be able to get him out to fix them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House