Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Good heavens. If you can afford a home with a marble floor and afford to throw parties you can afford to fix your marble floor. YOU held the party. YOU are responsible. Accidents happen. Buy some cheese to go with that whine and pull up your big girl panties!
Sounds to me as if you're the one who's whining. Does everyone who comes here with a request for a housecleaning tip deserve a lecture about her finances?

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 10-07-2010 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:09 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Sounds to me as if you're the one who's whining. Does everyone who comes here with a request for a housecleaning tip deserve a lecture about her finances?
Thank you !!

we don't actually pay our rent - we live where my husbands company tell us to..
'afford to live somewhere with a marble floor and afford to throw parties' was quite an assumption.....
I invited some friends over to help us drink our wine stash before we move to the US as we've been advised not to ship it. The wine was very good wine so we decided to use nice wineglasses...

The Baccarat was a set and a wedding present and yes kshe95girl will probably cost more than the floor polishing !!

I lost an expensive glass and didn't want to have to pay to have the floor re-polished if there was something I could do myself. Especially as i've taken very good care of it in the time we have been here....
All I wanted to know was is it possible to do this without being hugely out of pocket.
Thank you everyone who answered with something relevant and helpful.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Use to love marble, until i have it it my home, Do not like it any more, even though of its beauty. Polishing the Marble will not take the stain out, we have a marble table, and soda or something was spilled on it, we also thought polishing it out would help. No once you stain that marble it is generally in the marble, and the finish taken off and dull. Marble unlike Granite is soft, and stains very easily, believe me i have found out also on a antique low boy, which painfully killed me, to see ring marks all over this beatiful marble low boy, not so beautiful marble any more. After the things i have, i do not want marble any more, because of those facts, And believe me, i am someone who cleans everyday, and is a clean fanatic. But as you say, it is other people coming into the home, and when entertaining, you cannot possibly keep an eye on cooking and everybody else at the same time. In my case it has been adults, to have also messed up a really beautiful ash and burl wood dining table, by leaving cold drinks on it while i was cooking, not happy, now i have cardboard underneath my table, and a heavy tablecloth. Stains and glass rings appear very easily on marble.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Is it possible to seal marble in advance to guard against some of these issues? I've been in a lot of vintage homes where marble flooring is used in entry ways as if it's something good for a potentially messy area. Despite the fact it's ~100 years old, it never looks awful. Also, I once rented a casita-type dwelling on Paros in Greece and EVERYTHING was marble -- floors, bathroom, kitchen. I realize marble on Paros is the equivalent of wood in Oregon, but would people put it in a rental if it was such a hassle to take care of? Does it matter if it's polished or honed?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

when entertaining, you cannot possibly keep an eye on cooking and everybody else at the same time.

In my case it has been adults, to have also messed up a really beautiful ash and burl wood dining table, by leaving cold drinks on it while i was cooking, not happy, now i have cardboard underneath my table, and a heavy tablecloth. Stains and glass rings appear very easily on marble.

Even if you were nto cooking, watching someone drop a wineglass on your floor woudl not help you. The glass woudl still be broken and the floor still stained even if you were able to watch them drop it.

Fortunately, your dining table can readily be refinished. Most refinsihers charge $1000 to refinish a dining table. However, if you are only doing the top, it is very east to do and you can do it yourself. Just use a really good poly topcoat.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Good heavens. If you can afford a home with a marble floor and afford to throw parties you can afford to fix your marble floor. YOU held the party. YOU are responsible. Accidents happen. Buy some cheese to go with that whine and pull up your big girl panties!
OP, I'm sure that the rest of us would like to apologize for this completely uncalled for post.

I stained some travertine marble when a burning log rolled out of the firebox and scorched the hearth.

My friend who is a high end tile guy told me to try a paste of baking soda and water, let it sit on the stain for a bit and then wipe it up.

It didn't totally remove the scorch marks but it did lighten it up quite a bit.

I'm not sure how this would do on white wine, but if you figure you're going to have to call in the pros, then why not give it a shot and see if it works?

Good luck. Safe travels.

I sure hope you aren't moving to Missouri!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I sure hope you aren't moving to Missouri!
Hey now........I live there part of the time!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hey now........I live there part of the time!
Oh no kshe95girl! I was just referring to lifelonMOgal's comment!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Oh no kshe95girl! I was just referring to lifelonMOgal's comment!
Cool, totally understand now!
I'm a native, too!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Can Oxi Clean take out the stain? yes, this is the stuff for the laundry but I've used it for general cleaning including walls and it works great.

Try a lemon or lemon juice. Rub it in and let it sit awhile. And then rinse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House