Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy, but I've tried to bring outdoors indoors in my small apartment, but still need tips to finish it off. I have one exposed brick wall in the living room, which is what I like, and I've even got fake ivy vines running up and down it. I also have Wild Animal portraits all over the living room. I get lotsa compliments
There's a collage on one of my bedroom walls of nature/cities/animals etc and 2 fake exotic plants on both end tables in attempts to make it feel less like a cell.

The one big issue is that I only have one window (a sliding door to the balcony from the LR) in the entire apartment, so my bedroom/bathroom/kitchen don't get any natural light. My living room is brick red, but the rest of the apartment is an off white color, because without natural light i didn't care what color the friggen room was. As time went on (I moved here in June) I realize how dreary a windowless room can be (you get clastophobic, and it gets really stuffy- Especially with a dog). I've been sleeping in the living room just for the window.

It just dawned on me that maybe with the right lighting, paint color, and other tips I can achieve a livelier windowless room.
~

First: My bed is gold and black, and my drawer is black- What color should I paint the room? I felt like Gold walls would look strange without any natural light, though I may be wrong. Any good colors that go with black and gold? (BLACK is obviously not an option)

Second: LIGHTING! I turn on the light and it looks unhealthy (if that makes sense)- Especially when you know it's a beautiful day out. Florescent lights would be worst, so I know that's out of the Q. Is there a shade I can get? Is this possible for a ceiling fan? I feel like the room is too bright with the light on. - I also thought of ditching the ceiling fan bulbs and just wrapping the top of the walls with those danglining white christmas lights (it would go nice with the bed).

Lastly: It's stuffy, I leave the door open to get some kind of pathetic circulation. IS there something I can do about that? will a humidifier help, or will that makes things clammy/moldy?
~

As for my Bathroom/Kitchen- They don't bother me as much, I'm mainly focusing on my Bdrm.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BPerone201; 10-08-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Isn't it a building code issue to not have a window in a bedroom? How would you escape if there's a fire?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Isn't it a building code issue to not have a window in a bedroom? How would you escape if there's a fire?
There's a door that leads to a stair case to the first floor (I'm on the 2nd). The middle units are the only ones that have them- I have yet to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House