U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM

73 posts, read 250,786 times

Advertisements

I had a bad drip on my old faucet, it actually poured more than dripped and always from the hot water side. So I replaced all the rubber seals, that didn't work so I replaced the whole faucet fixture, but it still is dripping.

It stops dripping if I turn of the hot water side, so is it a coincidence, I have bad seals on the left side of the new faucet also? Or can there be a problem with the metal tube that brings the water to the faucet? I tried it with as low of pressure as I could and it still had a constant drip, so I have no idea how the water tube can affect the dripping from the faucet itself. Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM

4,677 posts, read 24,059,554 times
If I understand you correctly, you replaced the old dripping faucet with a brand new faucet. I also assume you are talking about dripping at the faucet spout (or where the water comes out).

The dripping is caused from a bad seal on the faucet controls. It has nothing to do with the spout, or the valves under the sink. The faucet controls (or handles) are really just a valve to turn on and turn off the water flow.

I guess it is possible that your brand new faucet had a bad seal or o-ring, but that would be pretty odd. Is this a one handled faucet, or a one piece faucet with two handles, or two handles and a separate spout?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,903,321 times
this is a very very remote possible cause, but you could have bad pipes. You shut off the water under the sink to replace the faucet and when you turned it back on you forced all sorts of crud into the new faucet. When you opened the faucet to run water something got stuck in the valve seals causing the dripping. Not very likely, but it has happened.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM

27,932 posts, read 60,105,374 times
Did you gently flush the lines and remove the strainer prior to testing?

The quality of faucets varies greatly... very possible you installed one with a bad washer/seat if it is this type.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM

272 posts, read 954,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
this is a very very remote possible cause, but you could have bad pipes. You shut off the water under the sink to replace the faucet and when you turned it back on you forced all sorts of crud into the new faucet. When you opened the faucet to run water something got stuck in the valve seals causing the dripping. Not very likely, but it has happened.
Yes this is a very good point, I changed my sons hot water heater, he called me that night and said he hand no water pr in his bathroom sink, I had to think for a minute, I told him take the sceen out of faucet and it was blocked,

Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM

40 posts, read 289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The same exact thing happened to me a couple months ago. I replaced the hot and cold valve stems and there was still a leak. Turns out, when I turned off the hot water supply under the sink, a small piece of the shutoff valve broke and got lodged in the stem.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 PM

73 posts, read 250,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton126 View Post
The same exact thing happened to me a couple months ago. I replaced the hot and cold valve stems and there was still a leak. Turns out, when I turned off the hot water supply under the sink, a small piece of the shutoff valve broke and got lodged in the stem.
"Valve Stem" is that meaning from where it comes out from the wall and the twist to shut off water is? Did changing the metal tubing leading up to the faucet solve the problem? Or did you change the stem only?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 AM

40 posts, read 289,197 times
By "valve stem" I'm referring to the component directly under the faucet handle (not the shutoff under the sink). Depending on your faucet type, you might not have one. Here's a picture of one: http://tinyurl.com/2dq5g74 (broken link)

The faucet handle and skirt unscrews and then you can unscrew the old valve stem and insert the new one.

In my case, I replaced both hot and cold valve stems and the hot shutoff (under the sink). The valve stems were the cause of the leak and the shutoff needed to be replaced cuz it did not work.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,235,085 times
Hopefully you have the old faucets and seals still available. If you still have the old faucet try replacing the cartridge on the hot water side. For the bathroom faucet it will probably only be 5-10 bucks. Unless it is really old, many faucets also have a life-time warranty, so might be worth checking out.

Also, don't be surprised if the brand new faucet has a defective part. I just bought a kitchen faucet last month and the o-ring was defective. I replaced it and it worked fine. Unfortunately, unlike the picture on the box, the base did not have a hole in it for the sprayer hose ... Makes me wonder what kind of QA process they follow at the factory.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 32,476 times
Default Sort of the same problem.

I have sort of the same problems. I am in chac=rge of our church matience. We bought 5 buildings in 2000. one of them has 22 rooms. Each of these rooms has a sink. All of the sinks are 40 years older or more. I am going through and replacing the stems. But no matter what I do my hot water side is still leaking. i wil try some of these tips. But do yall have any others for this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House