Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I come from a country where it's customary to take off your shoes at the door. I don't do it myself here and I don't ask other people to do it. It all comes down to common sense and where you live. In places where it rains and snows a lot and it gets muddy, I'd take off my shoes without being asked. Here, though, it rarely rains and even when it does, there's no mud. Also, I have only tile downstairs. Had I had white carpet , I'd probably like shoeless guests better, but I didn't want any carpet downstairs specifically for this reason.
I have never had carpet...hate the stuff. I have hardwood floors and ceramic tile in the kitchen, but if anyone has ever lived in NYC or the boroughs, the very thought of not removing shoes when indoors is gross.

Areas that have large immigrant populations, tend to reveal some really strange social behavior...in public. I have seen people blow their nose onto the street. Shoes form those streets in my house? I should say not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
yes, if they are staying longer than a min. The meter guy who goes into the basement for example wouldn't have to.

I don't know how people allow shoes in the house. The filth that is out on the street, the bugs and slime you step on - how do you allow that into your carpets and floors? Don't you sit on them with your clean clothes? Don't your kids roll around on them?

I may be asian and grew up with this mindset, but it's not like it doesn't make sense.

On the topic of carpet - I'm not a fan of its looks, but it is 10x more comfortable than hardwood - it's your home - be comfortable. We did pay to put in new hardwood (was doing construction anyway), but then threw rugs on top everywhere because we have toddlers (and their ride-on toys). SOOOO much more comfortable having carpet/rugs. The only benefit to hardwood in my opinion is looks.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
if anyone has ever lived in NYC or the boroughs, the very thought of not removing shoes when indoors is gross.
Came from Queens and I agree, and that's why my first job would be to replace all the floors to something new (even if something cheap). Then I can walk on it all I want. Wearing sneakers in my own home for X hours a day is anything but comfortable.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
I take mine off the minute I get home however I would prefer everyone else leave their's on. It's a great way to spread Plantar's Warts, Athletes Foot and toe nail fungus. I do allow my best friend who was my room-mate for four years to take her's off. She has demonstrated already her feet are safe.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM

356 posts, read 834,070 times
I'm a typical white American, and as a child we were always told to remove our shoes when entering our house or someone else's house. As such, I've become accustomed to that. Now I find it odd when ppl tell me to keep my shoes on in their home. It just seems disrespectful, and like I'm planning on running out at any moment.

And I'm far from a germaphobe or dirtaphobe (?) but I vastly prefer ppl removing their shoes at the door in my apartment too. I will rarely tell someone to remove their shoes, but when I remove mine it seems like they should know I prefer them to take theirs off too.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I take mine off the minute I get home however I would prefer everyone else leave their's on. It's a great way to spread Plantar's Warts, Athletes Foot and toe nail fungus. I do allow my best friend who was my room-mate for four years to take her's off. She has demonstrated already her feet are safe.
Even though I have people remove their shoes, don't think that I don't wash the floors anyway...when they leave. You'r right, a barefoot guest does not always equate to clean feet. It's just that the thought of what is dragged in from the street, would have me distracted while I was entertaining my guests. I use this great ecologically friendly floor cleaner that disinfects and smells great. I also wear slippers, but the thought of taking them off without having spotlessly clean floors is too much for my sensibilities.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM

744 posts, read 811,759 times
Quote:
I have never had carpet...hate the stuff. I have hardwood floors and ceramic tile in the kitchen, but if anyone has ever lived in NYC or the boroughs, the very thought of not removing shoes when indoors is gross.

Areas that have large immigrant populations, tend to reveal some really strange social behavior...in public. I have seen people blow their nose onto the street. Shoes form those streets in my house? I should say not!
What do you mean, like snot rockets?

I like wall to wall carpet, but only in bedrooms, area rugs are best though.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM

744 posts, read 811,759 times
Quote:
Even though I have people remove their shoes, don't think that I don't wash the floors anyway...when they leave. You'r right, a barefoot guest does not always equate to clean feet. It's just that the thought of what is dragged in from the street, would have me distracted while I was entertaining my guests. I use this great ecologically friendly floor cleaner that disinfects and smells great. I also wear slippers, but the thought of taking them off without having spotlessly clean floors is too much for my sensibilities.
You must be a clean freak, you actually clean your floors right after guests leave cause they might have had some dirt or whatever on their socks? Not hating, better than being dirty but yikes. lol. You may hurt your immune system if you are too sterile

Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Did a search on "remove shoes" and couldn't find a thread....

Do you make guests remove their shoes when they enter your home?

I've lived abroad and shoes ALWAYS came off at the door. But now that I'm back in the USA, it's weird to have people walk in my home with their shoes....tracking dirt, mud- you name it.

While I want my guests to feel comfortable, I also want my guests to offer respect to my home (like many other societies do) by removing their shoes.

What is a happy medium?
Interesting question. I think it would be nice if people would ask "do you want me to remove my shoes?"especially if the home is carpeted. I've done that a few times, although in SWFL most homes have ceramic tile and/or wood flooring in the living areas.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but you asked "what is a happy medium" so I'll mention booties. You can buy stretch booties that go over shoes and keep them near the entrance. Amazon sells 100 for around $10.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I have arthritis.
I will not even consider taking my shoes off, unless you have a bench right there where I can sit to put them back on.
No seating? Sorry, but the shoes stay on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House