Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:28 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

Just got through changing my bed sheets and pillow cases.

Being a little lazy in my senior yrs place three mattress covers on the mattress at the same time...ditto with the pillow covers...one top sheet and a light blanket until a comforter is needed later on.

Once a week I pull the top mattress cover and also the top sheet as a matter of routine. Real easy to do when making the bed and is a quick procedure.

I'm by myself so the bed does not get messed up (you know what I mean).

I do have a medical urinary problem and am leary of any kind of accident thus the three mattress covers to protect the new bed.

Am I being over sensitive or just being cautious?

Any one else have my situation or weird habit?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Are the mattress covers waterproof? Or the quilted types? If not, I'd recommend the waterproof covers; they have zippered kind and the ones with elastic which would be easier for you.

Can't say I've heard of anyone who doubles and triples up pillow cases and such. I thought that our skin cells slough off while we sleep and thus, require regular changing and replacing when they get too old (which makes pillows become very heavy)?

If it's easier, instead of using a fitted sheet on your mattress, use a flat sheet and tuck in the sides. it will be easier for you to remove. A sheet 1-size larger than your bed (i.e., a king-sized sheet for a queen bed) might work better also.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I've got that new style thin mattress (one piece unit) instead of the old style mattress and box spring being separate. Don't like the style as I cannot fold the sheets under the corners or side as with the old ones. Another problem is that a person cannot flip over or rotate the position as in the past.

I understand what is meant by plastic covers...I'm not in that bad shape yet. Decades ago when my small kids were growing up the wife had a system of no water after a certain hr and she would get them out of bed before we retired to make sure no accidents occurred. As it is I do get up 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom but hope that goes away after my upcoming surgery in Jan next year.

For me putting three form sheets on a mattress is no different then folding them away in a drawer...they are there for the days/weeks ahead.

I inherited some sheets from my mother...many new besides thos that I buy forgetting of the new ones still in the package in the drawer...have enough for 3-4 beds. I have this habit of buying two of what ever I buy consequently overstocking on many things. In the long run never run out and do save on gas at times.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Yup. That is wierd. You should be under constant watch. You are a threat to society.

When you sweat, it soaks through all the sheets, thus they are all getting dirty and gross at once. You cannot just peel them off in layers and have clean sheets.

That is a great title for a thread.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Well, I do this with my garbage bags in the trash can. I line it with four or five at a time, so when I pull up the full one, there is already another one.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:42 AM

421 posts, read 328,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Well, I do this with my garbage bags in the trash can. I line it with four or five at a time, so when I pull up the full one, there is already another one.
That is actually a cool idea I like it

Old 03-09-2015, 06:08 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
I agree with the garbage can but for sheets... I'd say that's like stapling 5 targets on top of each other then after shooting a bunch of rounds, pealing the top one off when you want a new target. It just doesn't work.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:49 AM

24,546 posts, read 10,869,900 times
It may seem like a clean sheet but I do prefer the matress aired all day with starched and ironed sheets every three days. Weird? Sure but enjoying it.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I've never sheet my bed

Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I put every pillow in my own zippered pillow protector, even if they come in one already, then put that into a pillowcase.

I have a thin, waterproof protector on my mattress but I recently added a foam topper and put a regular old quilted mattress pad over that and then a sheet. I don't have any medical issues, it's just easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House