Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,897 times

Advertisements

Upright refrigerators cycling on and off so frequently is very hard on compressors.

My previous 18cf frigidaire with minimal use cycled on and off about 50 percent of the time, usually 6 minutes on, 6 minutes off, 24/7.
During use it would cycle off for as little as 3 minutes and then cycle on longer, so it would be running about 70 percent of the time.
Again, the short off periods are very hard on compressors.
Even so, the refrigerator lasted 30 years, then I sold it for $160.

The cycling and wasting of energy every time the door was opened, and even when it wasn't opened, was very annoying, and so I converted a chest freezer to a fridge.
It took me awhile to figure this out but worked great. The frigidaire used an average of 100+ watts around the clock.
The new chest conversion runs only 6 minutes an hour, and uses an average of only 10 watts.
My electrical bill is an average of $6 a month.

Here is how I did the chest/fridge conversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Dude, what kind of kitchen would your freaky chest fridge work in????

Kudos on saving lots of watts, but since even days of cutting blocks of ice and dragging those to taverns and butchers, the orientation of "ice boxes" for cool things has been vertical...

You are not going to help some poor sumabich with a bad compression by linking to plans for overhauling chest freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Upright refrigerators cycling on and off so frequently is very hard on compressors.

My previous 18cf frigidaire with minimal use cycled on and off about 50 percent of the time, usually 6 minutes on, 6 minutes off, 24/7.
During use it would cycle off for as little as 3 minutes and then cycle on longer, so it would be running about 70 percent of the time.
Again, the short off periods are very hard on compressors.
Even so, the refrigerator lasted 30 years, then I sold it for $160.

The cycling and wasting of energy every time the door was opened, and even when it wasn't opened, was very annoying, and so I converted a chest freezer to a fridge.
It took me awhile to figure this out but worked great. The frigidaire used an average of 100+ watts around the clock.
The new chest conversion runs only 6 minutes an hour, and uses an average of only 10 watts.
My electrical bill is an average of $6 a month.

Here is how I did the chest/fridge conversion.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:25 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
derek2010 -- you may have already made your purchase (seeing that it's 4 days now after your original post), but in case you haven't, I cannot recommend the Whirlpool side-by-side we bought last December.

A major issue that the repairman blew off as nothing ... all summer one section on the edge of the freezer door had beads of moisture - the repairman said it was because either the freezer or frig door was not properly shut. Sorry, but I just can't believe we didn't shut the doors properly all summer. In my opinion there's a problem with insulation inside the door or with the seals, so when the cold air of the refrigerator leaks out and hits the warm air of my kitchen, moisture appears. Now that it's Fall, the issue isn't prevalent since the kitchen air is cooler.

As well, there are a number of design flaws.

1) The placement of where the cold air comes in, at the very top on the left, means that nothing can be placed in that area or it'll freeze.

2) Same scenario for the cold air return -- placed midway in the lower half and again on the left and must be left uncovered.

3) Runners for the adjustable shelves and bins inside the frig are in odd places and restrict shelf placement -- lots of wasted space and thus lousy and reduced storage options.

4) Lightbulb in the top of the frig is at the front and has no cover. When pulling something off the top shelf, it's so easy to hit the bare bulb.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I have a GE, bought it about 3 years ago and am very satisfied with it.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Regarding my above post -- we purchased the Whirlpool to replace a Magtag side-by-side. The 10-year-old Magtag had stopped cooling, but we didn't investigate why since there were other issues with it.

Flaws with that model of Magtag:

1) The on-the-door water dispenser catch tray allowed water to run in behind and then under it, thus rusting out the outer lining of the freezer door beneath the tray.

2) Once or twice a year we had to pull everything out of the freezer and unclog the drain hole because of an ice dam. Perhaps the drain was too narrow or something in its design, but it would freeze, and the moisture in the freezer that the drain was supposed to carry would end up puddling and freezing in the bottom of the freezer engulfing the bottom bin.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
I have had a Kenmore that has the freezer and ice maker under and the food up for 10 years trouble free, he says, as he touches wood. That says volumes to me.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,897 times
To update to my post above, the chest fridge uses an average of 8 watts. The peak is 80 watts when it's on, but it runs only 1/10th of the time.

The chest fridge sits in the same place where the upright was previously, plus I've added a shelf above it.

Interestingly, the chest design holds as much food in a smaller space than the upright.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
When we moved in our house the owners left us their whirlpool. I didnt care for it. I started noticing these black marks below the crisper. Almost looked like hair pieces. I have a black cat so I thought, wow gross cat hair is in the fridge. Turns out it was cracks in the white interior. I googled it and it was a common issue for that model. It also had this unbelievable suction. If you opened the freezer door, closed it and then tried to open the fridge portion? Forget it. I had to wait about 10 seconds. When we remodeled our kitchen I got a great deal on a frigidaire. I have owned several and they have been good to me. Of course now that I say that....

Old 06-02-2012, 06:12 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
After Hurricane Katrina in 2005, my old refrigerator had to be junked and I bought a Kenmore from Sears. It has an icemaker and water dispenser inside, but otherwise looks pretty much identical to this one:

21.0 cu. ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator, Black ENERGY STAR®- Kenmore-Appliances-Refrigerators-Top Freezer Refrigerators

This has been my dream refrigerator. What more can I say. It has a pebbled texture black exterior that never seems to need much cleaning, and the interior is also remarkably easy to clean since everything comes out easily and can be washed off in the sink. It has never broken or even faltered, it uses very little energy, and it keeps the food fresh for a long time. That's what I want in a refrigerator.

That year it had a top rating from Consumer Reports, which is how I selected it. So, like others I would recommend studying Consumer Reports before you shop.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
My parents have a GE from 1985 that is still going (it's their second fridge - originally their regular fridge for 4 years and then when they moved, it went in the laundry room as an extra fridge) and both our SubZero fridges (1983 and 1987) are still going, as well. Minor repairs (covered by home warranty anyway), work well, and are generally trouble-free.

So I bought a GE to use as a drink fridge, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House