U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 PM

1,916 posts, read 6,783,589 times

Advertisements

Licensed and insured does not equal good and reliable. Keep that in mind. My husband is a handyman and you won't believe the junk work he's had to go in and fix that a "reputable, insured, contractor" did.

That being said, check references. If possible call those references and ask if you can go see that job he did.

My husband gives out references to his prospects and invites them to call and ask if they can look at the jobs he's done: from backsplashes, to lawn mower ramps, to installing and building shelves. He also installs floors, etc. He is not licensed with the state, since he is a handyman he doesn't have to in this state (he does not add rooms or change the living sq. footage of a house for instance). But he does carry insurance and is bonded.

As to how to approach your handyman: I would say, hey Joe, I really feel uncomfortable with the guy helping you being he is on disability and all. I feel comfortable with you doing the work but not Jerry. I also, need this job completed in X number of weeks and seeing that you have another job pending, I'd like to hire someone else to finish this job. And it's not the quality of your work, so please don't think that is why, but I just need it done quickly. I'll still call you for some more projects in the future. And don't worry about the money I've already paid. We'll just call it even.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 PM

8,923 posts, read 9,048,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Licensed and insured does not equal good and reliable. Keep that in mind. My husband is a handyman and you won't believe the junk work he's had to go in and fix that a "reputable, insured, contractor" did.
I, too, have seen work done by reputable contractors that made me wonder if they'd ever even held a hammer before, much less built anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House