Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times

Advertisements

Oh mannnn, I'm so screwed........, but I have paid quite a bit already and want them to finish the job........

Next time, tho, licensed workers all the way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
With unlicensed contractors, the only thing you may accomplish by bringing it to authorities is to incur a hefty fine for hiring unlicensed workers.
BTW, is this against the law?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Oh mannnn, I'm so screwed........, but I have paid quite a bit already and want them to finish the job........

Next time, tho, licensed workers all the way....
Ruh Roh, what's your story?

Right now I feel like I sort of am screwed too. I called Home Depot and they won't put anything together, like my bed. This other guy I thought was licensed is not. The City won't take away the carpet (like I thought they would). This thing is going to cost more than I thought.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ruh Roh, what's your story?

Right now I feel like I sort of am screwed too. I called Home Depot and they won't put anything together, like my bed. This other guy I thought was licensed is not. The City won't take away the carpet (like I thought they would). This thing is going to cost more than I thought.
Ok, I must have missed something here, but why would you be calling Home Depot to put together a bed?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ok, I must have missed something here, but why would you be calling Home Depot to put together a bed?
Right, because all my furniture is everywhere and my bed is not together and so I wanted to know if they moved furniture in addition to installing flooring. Or they will move furniture but not take anything apart or put it back together (like my bed and I can't do it myself).

It looks like I'm going to have to take my chances and have the two here one more day just to get my furniture moved back and bed put together. Fingers crossed there are no issues. Then it will be convenient for me to just hire someone else, as the handyman says he has another commitment for two or three weeks more. I really don't want to wait that long to finish the job.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
BTW, is this against the law?

What state are you in? I am not aware of any state that punshes the homeowner for using an unlicensed contractor. The license laws are supposedly there to protect homeowners. You could have some problems if you do nto get a permit where it is required, and you will ether have to pull the permit yourself or hire a licensed guy to pull the permit (in most states).

In some states, you can make him give all of the money back.

In most states licensure does not mean a lot. It means that they took a test.
Idiots and unscrupulous people can pass the test (sometimes by taking it over and over). Smart skilled and or honest people can fail it.

Some states will get involved in problems with their licensed contractors, other states will just ignore your complaints. some states are really proactive and will ensure that you get your complaint resolved. It really depends on where you live.

Some states require the contractor to put up a bond. However unless they posted a cash bond, you will rarely (almost never) collect on a contractor's license bond.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
It looks like I'm going to have to take my chances and have the two here one more day just to get my furniture moved back and bed put together. Fingers crossed there are no issues. Then it will be convenient for me to just hire someone else, as the handyman says he has another commitment for two or three weeks more. I really don't want to wait that long to finish the job.
Possibly the best course of action at this point. If the original handyman won't be around for two or three weeks then hire another properly licensed, insured, etc., person to finish the work in that time.

As for the other contractor not being licensed but being insured make sure you ask for, and check, his certificate of insurance. If you ask him/her they should not have any problems providing you with the provider information. You can then call the provider to verify the insurance is still in effect, what it is for, its limits and if they cover work by an unlicensed person performing licensed tasks. If the other contractor refuses to provide their insurance information then move onto one that is licensed, insured and will provide the information.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Possibly the best course of action at this point. If the original handyman won't be around for two or three weeks then hire another properly licensed, insured, etc., person to finish the work in that time.

As for the other contractor not being licensed but being insured make sure you ask for, and check, his certificate of insurance. If you ask him/her they should not have any problems providing you with the provider information. You can then call the provider to verify the insurance is still in effect, what it is for, its limits and if they cover work by an unlicensed person performing licensed tasks. If the other contractor refuses to provide their insurance information then move onto one that is licensed, insured and will provide the information.
Good suggestions. I already thought to make this new guy provide proof of insurance for both him and his helper. If he can't do this, I won't use him. But I had not thought to call the provider to make sure the coverage is still in effect.

One more thing I'm not crazy about is this handyman telling me to clean up the mess he's made, which he did yesterday. Ok, so I guess I'll pick up a bit after him and get the dust up and stuff, but it's really not his place to be telling me what to do. Like I said, he's CHEAP and that's why I put up with certain things.

I do want the rest of the house done ASAP though, so guess I have to find someone else, one way or the other. A friend of mine told me she would not put up with him putting me on hold for two or three weeks just because someone else gave him a deadline. I am a pushover.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Contract or no contract, if you use an unlicensed contractor, you will likely have no recourse against him at all. Every contractor MUST supply you with a current valid Insurance Certificate naming YOU as the insured. Don't hire any contractor who can't provide this within 24 hrs. All they have to do is call their agent and have the agent make out the certificate naming you as the insured. A fax copy will do initially but it must be followed by an original copy before he starts any work at all. Otherwise, if someone saws off a hand, falls from the roof, or hurts themself in any way, you can be liable and your homeowners won't cover the lawsuit.

You should always check three recent jobs the guy has done, and not for his cousin, or brother in law. Find someone who is not related or a friend. Go look at the work and see if it acceptable to you. A bg red flag is if the guy doesn't have recent work to show you. See if you can look at the contract the contractor signed for his pevious work. See if he starts and finished on time. Too many contractors juggle three jobs at once and therefore all three take three times as long to complete.

I would suggest you go down to your local building inspector and see if you can get a list of reliable contractors that have "pulled" permits in your town before. It is the Building Inspector who has to sign off on any jobs after he inspects them, so it is only natural he sees quality work over shoddy work. He probably can't "recommend" anyone but can probably give you a list to choose from anyway.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Contract or no contract, if you use an unlicensed contractor, you will likely have no recourse against him at all.

GENERALLY, YOUR RECOURSE AGASINT A LICENSED OR UNLICENSED CONTRACTOR IS ESSTENTIALLY THE SAME. HOWEVER SOME STATES HAVE BOND REQUIREMENTS AND WILL ACTIVELY GET INVOLVED IN DISPUTES. BUT THOSE STATES WILL OFTEN HELP YOU PURSUE AN UNLICENSED CONTRACTOR AS WELL.

Every contractor MUST supply you with a current valid Insurance Certificate naming YOU as the insured. Don't hire any contractor who can't provide this within 24 hrs. All they have to do is call their agent and have the agent make out the certificate naming you as the insured. A fax copy will do initially but it must be followed by an original copy before he starts any work at all. Otherwise, if someone saws off a hand, falls from the roof, or hurts themself in any way, you can be liable and your homeowners won't cover the lawsuit.

YOU DO NEED INSURANCE. HOWEVER AS SOMEONE POINTED OUT, DO NOT RELY ON THE CERTIFICATE. CONFIRM THAT THERE IS INSURANCE AND WHAT IT COVERS. CERTIFICATES ARE ISSUED BY BROKERS, AND DO NTO BIND INSURANCE COMPANIES. BROKERS CAN (AND HAVE) ISSUED CERTIFICATES WHEN HTERE IS NO INSURNACE IN PLACE. ALSO YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE POLICY COVERS. A POLICY WITH AN EXCLUSION FOR RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCITON WORK DOES YOU NO GOOD AT ALL.

You should always check three recent jobs the guy has done, and not for his cousin, or brother in law. Find someone who is not related or a friend. Go look at the work and see if it acceptable to you. A bg red flag is if the guy doesn't have recent work to show you. See if you can look at the contract the contractor signed for his pevious work. See if he starts and finished on time. Too many contractors juggle three jobs at once and therefore all three take three times as long to complete.

THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT YOU CAN DO. MAKE SURE THAT THE REFERENCES ARE NOT RELATIVES OR FRIENDS. ALSO YOU CAN ASK SPECIALTY CONTRACTORS WHO HAVE WORKED FOR TH CONTRACTOR BEFORE.

I would suggest you go down to your local building inspector and see if you can get a list of reliable contractors that have "pulled" permits in your town before. It is the Building Inspector who has to sign off on any jobs after he inspects them, so it is only natural he sees quality work over shoddy work. He probably can't "recommend" anyone but can probably give you a list to choose from anyway.

IN MY EXPERIENCE MOST BUILDING INSPECTORS DO NTO CARE WHETHER A CONTRACTOR IS RELIABLE OR QUALITY. MANY DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. MOST SEEM PRIMARILY INTERSTED IN STROKING THEIR OWN EGOS. THEY ARE LIEKLY TO REFER YOU TO A FRIEND OR RELATIVE, BUT SUCH A REFERRAL IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF QUALITY OR RELIABILITY. IN FACT, MOST INSPECTORS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THESE ISSUES. FOR EXAMPLE ON OUR HOUSE OUR ELECTRICIAN MESSED UP REPEATEDLY AND THE LEFT THE JOB. I CORRECTED THE MISTAKES AND FINISHED THE WORK WITH HELP FROM OUR CARPENTER. WHAT THE INSPECTOR SAW WAS A COMPLETED JOB THAT LOOKED PRETTY GOOD. HE DID NOT KNOW THAT THE ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR DID BAD WORK AND THEN BAILED. HE WOULD PROBABLY RECOMMEND THAT CONTRACOTR TO SOMEONE ELSE SINCE OUR HOUSE WAS A VERY DIFFICULT JOB AND IT TURNED OUT WELL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House