Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of stove do you want or prefer?
Gas 54 78.26%
Electric 11 15.94%
Don't Care 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,519,399 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to buy a new stove and was going to plumb the kitchen for a gas stove since we will have to have the gas line ran past the wall where the kitchen is to get to the back yard for a gas grill hookup and converting the fireplace.

Question is. When looking for a house or if you had your preference would you want a gas stove or an electric stove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM

831 posts, read 1,956,675 times
I miss my gas stove every time I turn on this ridiculous electric one. I grew up in several households with gas stoves and they didn't contribute to any ill health concerns that I'm aware of...nothing has materialized and I'm now ...well let's just say in my mid- to late- thirties.

Gas stoves, in my experience when I baked cakes for coworkers (customers) and cooked at home, cook more evenly. Electric pulses heat; pulsing heat can cause a dramatically uneven distribution of heat and doneness in food. I use the convection setting on the oven which compensates a little bit, but for the stovetop it means you have to babysit food or it scorches. Or it takes 100 years to cook. Milk does not cook evenly, butter burns quickly and the frying pans get hotspots. Electric cooktops are the archenemy of cast iron frying pans. Don't drag that cast iron pan across a cooktop or heaven forbid drop that pan just a little and the cooktop glass is history. We had the electric coils too -- still had the pulsing heat problem.

Just my .02... Good luck deciding on your purchase!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM

831 posts, read 1,956,675 times
Oh and my girlfriend broke the corner off her glass electric cooktop and she went to replace it, turns out it cost as much to buy a new stove as to get new glass ...even cannibalizing it from an appliance junkyard was cost prohibitive. So she left it.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Go duel fuel!!
It's the best thing since sliced bread.

Gas cook top/stove
Electric oven

Old 10-26-2010, 08:20 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Go duel fuel!!

Gas cook top/stove
Electric oven
+1

Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,848,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
When looking for a house or if you had your preference would you want a gas stove or an electric stove?
I really don't care - both cook food just fine, it seems. I've had both in different houses and can't say I've really found one to be superior to the other for what I do. We're not gourmet chefs. We just cook dinner and bake some brownies and birthday cakes once in a while. I can't say gas or electric does the job any better or any faster for me. I did like having a smooth-top electric because it was extremely easy to keep clean - that's the only real advantage I've experienced. Aesthetically, I'd say my gas range looks higher end/more professional - so from a home sales perspective, I'd say it has the advantage.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 AM

9,122 posts, read 14,660,572 times
I used to never care and we got a glass top range when we bought our current home 5 years ago. Now that we have tried to actually cook more things we are finding for sure that electric has serious drawbacks and are contemplating getting a gas or more likely dual fuel range. Even though our range was more or less "top of the line" with supposedly good controls infinitely variable, yada, yada, yada, it is just too hard to simmer something or do a reduction or anything else that requires precise temperature control on an electric cooktop.

The eye can only be turned on or off. The controls can vary the on off, but it still cuts on for a period of time, then cuts off. You can have something simmering or low boil real nice for a minute or so, but then the on off eventually catches up and it will either not come back to a boil or suddenly start boiling over. This requires you to more or less stand over a pot and move the control constantly or move the pot.

So, essentially, if you occaisonally warm something up an electric cooktop is fine (especially the galss as they are so easy to keep clean) but gas is where its at if you want to get more advanced. I had always heard this, but thought those peopel were crazy until now.

Now, the range we currently have is convection and that helps tremendously with baking, so like I said, we will probably go with a dual fuel gas cooktop electric convection oven.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,977,288 times
Dual fuel is the best choice! Gas cooktop electric oven for even baking.
Of course my stupid electric black bachelor pad oven is busted right now, (of course).
Wish I could follow my own advice. I hate the electric burners on this piece of electric crap.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Default Cheap gas is better than cheap electric BUT very good high induction stves are quite nice...

If you have the opportunity to put in a gas line it is easiest and cheapest route to go.

That said I have had the opportunity to use several of the new high end inductions ranges and they are wonderful. Unlike the crummy electric stoves that have imprecise heat control you can adjust them to be hotter than all but unsafe wok blaster type gas burner, the middle range is very good as fhe cooktop itself has ZERO retained heat and the low end is, in some ways, better than gas as the flame won't go out.

You need to have nice cookware with enough magnetic core to heat up, so it is a high end option (using the iron plate that comes with gives up all the 'wrap around heating' and zero retained heat benefits so it is only a stop gap) but if I was shopping for a new kitchen that had a high end induction range I would not miss gas except for a brazier / indoor grill where I actually prefer the way that a well designed gas burner has better distribution of IR energy...

Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,849,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Go duel fuel!!

Gas cook top/stove
Electric oven
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House