Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 10:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times

Advertisements

The gas was shut off at the property I am moving into and I wasn't able to get the service turned on without someone being there to let the gas company in.

All other utilities have remained on the entire time.

My question is will I need the water heater drained and flushed with bleach to kill bacteria before putting it back into use or should it be good to go? The local C/D members seemed to think it should be fine as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:22 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
I do it all the time and have not had problems... but I would pull the sacrificial rod and see what condition it is in - this would be a good time for that.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
If it is city chlorinated water, it should be fine. The tank is sealed - just like bottled water you buy from the store!

The concern would be if water pressure was lost and water "back flowed" into your water pipes. For example you might spray pesticides on a lawn, then lose water pressure (water turned off or whatever), the water can siphon (run backwards) through a lawn sprinkler or water hose into the house water pipe system.

Modern (to code) plumbing uses "back flow preventers" as well as "anti-siphon" gizmos to prevent that from happening.

In any case, run the hot water until there is hot water coming out of the faucet. Then smell it. If bacteria is present, it will stink to high heaven! To be extra safe, run the cold water for a minute and only use cold water for cooking/drinking.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
I have a large home with two separate systems, with a water heater at each end of the house. I rarely use one end of the home, so I shut off the gas to the W/H at one end for well over a year. I eventually turned the gas back on and lite the fire, but still rarely use hot water at that end of the home. Have never experienced a problem.
I wouldn't spend any time worrying about your situation...

Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Ask any snowbird that leaves for months at a time every year. Shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House