Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:04 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

I have a new 5 ton hvac system where the heater side was replaced as well. The old unit heater worked fine, it would warm my house up to into the 70s even during very cold winter evenings. The new unit doesnt keep it above around 65 at night then struggles during the day to get it near 70 while we have the cold outside temps now of around 45 during the day and near freezing at night.

My hvac guy who did the work replaced the electronic control unit in the attic but this did not fix the problem. He has been called but always says he has customers without heat that need attention first then never gets to me. I dont think he has a clue what to do next.'

Any other forums I should put this question to? This was my best guess after exploring. Hoping a professional has run into this before and can guide me,

The unit is a high SEER one, its a trane, not sure what this could be? I have the set point at 71 and it wont get close to that temperature anytime in this cold. My other two units are on and working properly so the load space is not other than design. These are cold temps for us but never heard of anyone having this issue. The unti just licked on and is blowing hot air but it will shut down before it gets more than a degree warmer. What could this be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 04:09 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Call who installed it?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:23 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Your unit is short cycling. Is your thermostat near a vent where warm air can reach it? Is anything that creates heat near it? I'm assuming the t-stat location was not moved. If it was check.

If it's a high SEER unit it's got a lot of tech built into it. Multispeed fans and all that good stuff. Do some research with the model of the outdoor unit and air handler inside. If this is a retro fit and existing ductwork was used that can cause problems too. Maybe someone here knows more about modern systems than me. I'm studying the stuff now as my knowledge is out of date.

Model numbers here can help us ferret out the issue.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:33 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I have a new 5 ton hvac system where the heater side was replaced as well. The old unit heater worked fine, it would warm my house up to into the 70s even during very cold winter evenings. The new unit doesnt keep it above around 65 at night then struggles during the day to get it near 70 while we have the cold outside temps now of around 45 during the day and near freezing at night.

My hvac guy who did the work replaced the electronic control unit in the attic but this did not fix the problem. He has been called but always says he has customers without heat that need attention first then never gets to me. I dont think he has a clue what to do next.'

Any other forums I should put this question to? This was my best guess after exploring. Hoping a professional has run into this before and can guide me,

The unit is a high SEER one, its a trane, not sure what this could be? I have the set point at 71 and it wont get close to that temperature anytime in this cold. My other two units are on and working properly so the load space is not other than design. These are cold temps for us but never heard of anyone having this issue. The unti just licked on and is blowing hot air but it will shut down before it gets more than a degree warmer. What could this be?
Is it gas heat or is it electric?

If it is electric is it a heat pump unit with electric heat strip back-ups or just electric heat strips?

Which of the three units is this (what area(s) does it service)?

As Scrat335 suggested it is possibly a T-Stat or control board issue. Yes a model number for the heating components would help.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Your unit is short cycling. Is your thermostat near a vent where warm air can reach it? Is anything that creates heat near it? I'm assuming the t-stat location was not moved. If it was check.

If it's a high SEER unit it's got a lot of tech built into it. Multispeed fans and all that good stuff. Do some research with the model of the outdoor unit and air handler inside. If this is a retro fit and existing ductwork was used that can cause problems too. Maybe someone here knows more about modern systems than me. I'm studying the stuff now as my knowledge is out of date.

The installer was my HVAC that I have called as noted in OP. Nothing was moved from prior setup that worked fine. Well come to think of it the attic air handler was moved over a couple of feet to improve access to the unit. Used same duct work and thermostat is not nearer a vent.. But wil check this.

THanks.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Is it gas heat or is it electric?

If it is electric is it a heat pump unit with electric heat strip back-ups or just electric heat strips?

Which of the three units is this (what area(s) does it service)?

As Scrat335 suggested it is possibly a T-Stat or control board issue. Yes a model number for the heating components would help.

It is a natural gas heater. It serves the Family Room, kitchen, Living room, study, Dining room and breakfast room. Its the main unit in my home for most of downstairs other than a bedroom wing on another unit. The third unit is for two bedrooms and a game room and a media room all upstairs. We have high ceilings down in FR, Kit and LR. Also the house has two very open staircases that connect upstairs to the area the main unit serves down stairs. Hope that is clear

Old 12-27-2017, 06:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Very helpful to OP Scrat and well said as well!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 PM

247 posts, read 254,311 times
OP I know you are just getting insight here,but you ever hear of raising hell as in I paid a lot of my hard earned dollars for this ***** and somebody better fix it like yesterday

Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
I'd call the registrar of contractors if this was happening to me. Find out who your licensing agency is and file a complaint, or tell your contractor that you will be doing that if it isn't fixed in the next couple of days first and see if it lights a fire.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:27 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Heat pump? https://www.hannabery.com/faq4.shtml.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House