Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times

Advertisements

DH is using an unfinished basement for his office space. It has concrete floors and walls.

I thought a kerosene heater would help with the coldness but he is saying that the cold is coming up from the floor. His feet are cold.

I am considering remnant carpets with foam padding. Would this be enough to stop the coldness?

Would a kerosene heater make a difference?

He suggested those thick rubber mats used in commercial stores to help prevent fatigue standing too long. Would that help?

We are not in position to spend a lot of money. Maybe 100 - 200 dollars (not including the space heater).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Put down an area rug with a carpet pad under it, that extra insulation will help a lot.

You can get some good buys doing a google search area rugs cheap - Google Search

and often find good sale prices at places like Lowes or Home Depot.

Home Decorators often has good sale prices also. http://www.homedecorators.com

Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
yep - we put a remnant in the basement (both in the office and playroom) for now until we get if fully finished - no pad even and it has helped a great deal!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Kerosene space heaters are an awful idea in an enclosed space that is probably too full of paper and too easy to forget about. Even if you get a really made unit with a highly efficient catalytic exhaust to prevent any CO they operate at such a high temperature that the odds of setting something aflame are extereme in a home office.

As to the floor situation, area rugs would increase the fire threat. Get some nice safe low temperature radiant heat. If the cost is too high than at least stick with some that is much safer: Optimus Infrared Quartz Radiant Heater, Model# H-5210 | Electric Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
wow Thanks for the info on Kerosene heaters.

My parents used one in our basement when I was a kid, and so did my DH's family. Everyone used one in the 70s and 80s. Did something change?

I thought people who had fires were using heaters with gasoline or the wrong type of fuel not intended for indoor use. I thought that was the same for CO problems. Using generators indoors or gasoline type fuels

Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 PM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
If you have the money,put the Dricore floor system.Its available at the home depot,about $1.50 a square foot,it forms a water and vapor barrier on the floor by giving you an air gap below,and an OSB subfloor on top.Helped my neighbor put one in last year,and doing an entire 900 sq. ft. basement took us all of three hours,and of course,it cost him a case of beer!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
My parents used one in our basement when I was a kid, and so did my DH's family. Everyone used one in the 70s and 80s. Did something change?
We had one in the 1970's when they were very popular, but my husband would often get headaches from it. Theoretically, you're supposed to open a window a little to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning if you're using a portable model...but there goes some of your heat, right out the window.

Personally, I'd find some other way to heat your husband's office. I think kerosene heaters are way too dangerous.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:03 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
He undoubtedly is sitting at a desk. If you want cheap, get a clamp-on light fixture, a 75 watt reflector bulb, and clamp the fixture to the leg of the desk, aimed downward at the floor under his feet. It'll make all the difference in the world. If it is too hot, get an inline dimmer for the lamp.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Two steps:

1) Use a carpet pad and carpet remnants to insulate in the area where your husband works. I've bought both items for well under $1.00 psf at the big box stores in my area ... and it was quality carpet. One section I got was a Berber that went into a rental property living room and had enough left over for an area rug in my office.

2) Get a radiant panel heater (or two). These are flat panels that are 110v powered, and typically have a carpet like face. They hang just like a picture frame, so you can put one on a wall adjacent to the work area, and one under the desk ... perhaps mounted on the modesty panel of the desk, or on the side of an adjacent file cabinet. These panels do not warm the air directly, but the radiant warmth is felt by the people in the area. They are inexpensive and don't cost a lot to operate, unlike 110V BB heaters.

Additionally, consider a floor panel radiant heater, 110V, which are now available through heating contractors. These are a pad which goes under the carpet, and are low wattage/low temp for localized comfort. A typical pad might be 2' x 3' and 65 watts. These aren't intended to make one's feet "toasty" ... but to take the chill off the floor area. We use these pads for our newly born livestock in the winter months, and the little ones figure out the comfort from these within hours compared to the concrete floor with bedding next to them.

I've used catalytic kerosene heaters in several houses and workspaces in years past ... these are very efficient, and used in many countries around the world as primary heat sources in houses. However, they still require make-up airflow for the combustion, which defeats heating a space such as the basement. I don't consider them dangerous if used and adjusted properly, but one must be aware of having the make up air into the area and the potential for a fire if flammables are placed too close to them ... just like using a non-vented gas radiant heater, fireplace, or a pellet stove. At today's cost per gallon of kerosene, however, I don't believe they're competitive for the heat they produce and needed in this small area.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
DO NOT use kerosene indoors.
They do sell them but give a whole lot of precautions.
Every year/winter there are newspaper stories about people found dead from the fumes. Why take the chance.
Why not use one of those electric radiators, or ceramic heater or even an electric baseboard heater?

The carpet and pad are also a good idea for the money for a small area.
However, I would put a piece of visquine/thick mil plastic sheet down before the padding first as a vapor/sweat barrier.
I would think a chair would be hard to roll around on one of those thick anti-fatigue mats.
They are great if you are doing alot of standing though.

No basements here. I wish. It'd be nice and cool in the summer.
But when I remember those cold, damp basements of my childhood,,,,,BRRRRRRRRR!

Let us know how you make out.
Look for sales leading up to and for "BLACK FRIDAY".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House