Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:03 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have a question and hope I am posting in the right forum.

We just got our son an above ground swimming pool and would like to put a multi tiered wooden deck around it. Do any of you have one, or know where I can find some kits or plans for this type of deck?

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. I am so tired of hitting a brick wall in my ongoing research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 03:42 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I had one at my last home which I sold a few months ago. Part of it was curved to fit around the pool. Otherwise, it wasn't much different than an ordinary deck. It also had steps that led down to a lower level which attached to the house.

In many places you will need to have a permit to build one. You may also need to have a gate or enclosure for the pool to prevent stray children from getting in. Maybe you should look in your yellow pages and find a licensed contractor who builds decks. Also speak to someone in your county building permit office for more info.

Home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot also have books on the subject, I believe.

Last edited by ellie; 06-17-2007 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2007, 04:11 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I searched for a few minutes too and came up with this site. DeckPlans - Plans (http://www.deckplans.com/plans/index.cfm - broken link)

Still, you should consult a professional if you don't have construction experience.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks ellie, we do have construction experience, actually we built our home , i just can't find any plans that I like. Am on the city board so the permit factor is a non issue. I want my back yard to be multi decked. Just went to Lowe's and bought all their books on decks LOL. I think they thought I was nuts.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:34 AM

54 posts, read 430,294 times
I am a builder myself with enough experience to know that if a job is to be a custom job, every job is different therefore never needing or wanting someone elses preplanned plans. Homeowners go to Lowes and Home Depot on Saturday and Sunday. Experienced builders dream the plan while they sleep and build it the next morning.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
I am a builder myself with enough experience to know that if a job is to be a custom job, every job is different therefore never needing or wanting someone elses preplanned plans. Homeowners go to Lowes and Home Depot on Saturday and Sunday. Experienced builders dream the plan while they sleep and build it the next morning.

What a great insight! That's how I write! My father in law was an engineer over woodworking in a furniture plant until he retired. I finally got him away from this house ue is building and walked him around the pool and backyard, explaining how I wanted things to look and he made a rough drawing to show me, I made some minor edits to it and now have the rough plan of the deck I want. Now, if I could simply drag him away from his house building long enough to build it!

Thanks guys for all the info and insight. Hoping all have a great and happy
4th of July and remember, stay safe.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
I was in the swimming pool business for the last 10 years in so CA and have helped many folks put these decks together. One thing I highly recommend is indoor/outdoor carpeting on the surface of the deck helping out with the heat and splinter issues. The deck around an above ground pool can be a very tempting platform for some serious shenanigans especially for young boys resulting in potentially catastrophic injuries. You might want to check with your homeowners insurance agent and inquire on whether or coverage will be an issue. I had a client that was not paying attention one afternoon and a neighbor kid broke his neck diving off of their deck. I think we can all figure out what happened to them.

Last edited by da jammer; 07-05-2007 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 PM

oh how horrible! Thank you for the heads up, liability insurance is something to consider if homeowners is not enough. THanks so very much.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Hi all, I have a question and hope I am posting in the right forum.

We just got our son an above ground swimming pool and would like to put a multi tiered wooden deck around it. Do any of you have one, or know where I can find some kits or plans for this type of deck?

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. I am so tired of hitting a brick wall in my ongoing research.
There are many places to get designs, home centers, book stores, online etc. Having experienced this years ago my suggestion would be to use a synthetic deck board (trex or something similar). Wood deck boards equal splinters. If you have children that are going to use it you'll spend a lot of time pulling them from their feet. You may want to consider vinyl railing as well. I know many people will say the cost difference can't be justified and I thought so as well when I first built our deck. After eight years I replaced the wood deck boards and railing with vinyl. The only maintenance I do now is was it down with a light soap mix. "NO HEADACHES", sanding, sealing, staining and repairing anymore. By the way the other posters are right. When I got my pool I also took out a 2 million dollar umbrella policy. Have pool rules and make sure everyone follows them, no exceptions! Another suggestion is think about having your deck boards over the pool top rail and not butt up to it. People will step on the rail, eventually causing it to bend. With the boards over the top that won't happen. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
There are many places to get designs, home centers, book stores, online etc. Having experienced this years ago my suggestion would be to use a synthetic deck board (trex or something similar). Wood deck boards equal splinters. If you have children that are going to use it you'll spend a lot of time pulling them from their feet. You may want to consider vinyl railing as well. I know many people will say the cost difference can't be justified and I thought so as well when I first built our deck. After eight years I replaced the wood deck boards and railing with vinyl. The only maintenance I do now is was it down with a light soap mix. "NO HEADACHES", sanding, sealing, staining and repairing anymore. By the way the other posters are right. When I got my pool I also took out a 2 million dollar umbrella policy. Have pool rules and make sure everyone follows them, no exceptions! Another suggestion is think about having your deck boards over the pool top rail and not butt up to it. People will step on the rail, eventually causing it to bend. With the boards over the top that won't happen. Good luck and enjoy.
This is one thing I was discussing with my Father in law yesterday. One thing, our ladder that fits inside the pool overlays the rail, how do I put the boards in this area? the ladder rail is rather thick.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House