Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
"I can't imagine just sitting around and reading a book - no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl
Get off the computer and try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Books are 4th century technology.

No search capability.
No easy way to copy and paste.
Take up space.

Books are to information what newspapers are to news. (Do people actually still read newspapers? Yesteday's news, tomorrow.)

The dining room should be converted to something the original poster will use. If he/she reads books, actually sits-in-a-chair-and-reads-a-book several hours a week, then fine. But not that many people do it.

Are physical books obsolete? - CreateDebate
2 points, OhioGirl.

So Charles, I guess there's no need for libraries, museums, and art galleries? You really need to get out alittle more.
There's such a thing as meeting one's needs with things that perform a function, and then there's meeting one's need for aestetic pleasure.
That's what nice furniture and "vase"s and art are all about.
And while your so enamored with technology, it becomes obsolete, breaks down, and is limited.
Books will never go out of style.

But back on topic; other than knocking out the wall that has the occasional table on it with the matching lamps, to extend the kitchen, it could be used for anything public. It seem to be a walk though area, so I can't see a calm setting for reading or quiet activity really going on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We just bought a house that we loved for a lot of reasons. The one thing we do not like is the fact that it has a formal dining room. But we didn't want to forego buying this house over that, as everything else is perfect. Years ago we decided we have no use for formal dining rooms, as we always use the other eating area for everyday and entertaining use. Far more practical for us.

Anyway, I'm needing some creative ideas for what else could we do with this room? It's not a separate room and almost cries out "I'm a Formal Dining Room and nothing else!". It's next to the front living room and is between it and the kitchen, serving also a passageway to the kitchen and to the rest of the house so if we closed it off, it would be a pain to get to the kitchen and office.

The house has a study/office already, and a family room, and enough bedrooms. If we left it empty it would look odd and we don't feel like just sticking random bits of furniture in there. It should be useful.

Any ideas?
Is there a musician in the family: piano, a few chairs and potted plants? In my house, there would be bookshelves --- even with the study/office, books are everywhere!

Edited to add: I should have read the entire thread before posting!

I concur with the readers. Computers are wonderful, but books are better.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-23-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
So OP, what did you decide to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's called an "index".
I found this book conversation quite interesting. But you can't possibly compare an index in a book to the search capability on the internet....

Quote:
whatever the heck you do on facebook - I find it useless
True. But we could say the same for reading fiction books no? (Not saying you necessarily are reading fiction).

I actually just came back from out of town and have noticed that many people (of all ages) had a kindle. A couple ppl had books, but I saw more people with a kindle instead.

I know this is getting all off topic, but I wonder if electronics will replace books. Can you imaging archeologists digging and finding a book and wondering what it was lol.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I actually just came back from out of town and have noticed that many people (of all ages) had a kindle. A couple ppl had books, but I saw more people with a kindle instead.
I actually haven't seen a kindle yet. I imagine on college campuses they are all over. But in my regular life I see a lot of people reading books, but no kindles. Nothing against them, I would like to see one.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 PM
B4U

No. But I can imagine archeologists finding these computers, kindles, i-pad, etc. and not knowing what they are. Think of the thousands of years paper documents have been around. And not much has changed relative to the multitude of changes in the electronic world (remember those room sized computers that were temp. controlled?) that has become antiquated almost overnight.
Look at the way we document music or sound; records, 8 track, cassette, reel-to-reel, VCR, DVD, etc. But it's still noted somewhere on paper, no matter what the electronic medium is.
Court cases are video taped (sometimes), but a stenographer is still required.
Elections are won by voters voting electronically. But somewhere they are tabulated and documented on paper.
But all this is off-topic. Paper has not gone away with the advent of technology.
Maybe that room could be wallpapered with pictures of technological devices with descriptions underneath to be kept for posterity? LOL!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
So Charles, I guess there's no need for libraries, museums, and art galleries? You really need to get out alittle more.
There's such a thing as meeting one's needs with things that perform a function, and then there's meeting one's need for aestetic pleasure.
That's what nice furniture and "vase"s and art are all about.
Just about any 2D (painting) or 3D (sculpture) artwork I could see in a museum, I could see online - more comfortably, more conveniently, more affordably. I could zoom in and appreciate detail. I could rotate the view. I could take my time, view it at my pace - almost impossible in a museum when you are generally constrained by the presence of others. I could have instant captions or stories about it. I wouldn't have to pay for parking. Want proof? How many times have you noticed so much more detail in a photo of a subject or scene or setting than you did when you were just standing there? You see the man with the cigarette wearing a red hat behind the blue car that has a flat and the dog in the car with a bow on it's head.

Instead of dining room:

Last edited by Charles; 11-23-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 09:15 PM
B4U

I disagree. That's not art appreciation is all I'll say. Someone had to create that museum with mind & hands and imagination for your pleasure. How do you think you view it from the comfort of the computer screen you live in?
Do you think you could produce the masterpieces in any art form with the computer? Let's see that computer of yours create a 3-D that I can reach out & touch or hear.
You have denied yourself way to much sensory pleasure. And your imagination is limitless if you'd allow yourself to experience it. Believe it or not, computers will never surpass the human mind for that fact. They're a great tool, but there are many tools, but they all provided a limited function.
They're aids. That's all.
So I'll agree to disagree, and let these folks take this thread back on-topic.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Looking at art on the computer versus in person?? Oh my goodness, I've heard it all....ignorance is bliss I guess....but sometimes it is just ignorance.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Looking at art on the computer versus in person?? Oh my goodness, I've heard it all....ignorance is bliss I guess....but sometimes it is just ignorance.

Ya, I and I guarantee you'd remember more about the piece of art if you had it on your screen than if you were standing three feet away from it behind some red rope.

Seriously, what percent of Americans actually enjoys visiting an art museum? About 0.001%? How many Americans have visited an art museum in the past six months?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
To me that looks more like a room that someone tried to make into a formal dining room and didn't quite pull it off. That room would be easy to repurpose. Add some floor to ceiling book shelves where the hutch is, put in a couple of overstuffed chairs with ottomans and you have a reading room.

A grand piano in the center of that room would look amazing too.
Totally agree. That room was something else. It has none of the characteristics of a formal dining room. The minute I looked at the photo I thought library or sitting room with bookshelves (piano would be awesome).

OP: You are right to change it. Its not formal and its not a dining room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House