Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times

Advertisements

That is a beautiful counter. I would not do it on the backsplash. If you look at the first picture, the counters disappear and look very dark. Make the counters stand out with a tile backsplash. Try getting a color out of the counter to match but a lighter color or white.
A wood floor will be softer than tile. Wood can be very durable and spills would not matter if the floor is sealed with polyurethane. The kids can fall down and go boom and not be as hurt as if they fell on tile. Spills can be easily wiped up on a poly sealed wood. And you can get a color of wood to match the cabinets or complement the cabinets. I would not have ceramic in a kitchen again. Everything that hits the floor will break. And it's cold. I'm into wood floors.(can you tell).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 AM

841 posts, read 4,838,456 times
Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing.

We are gutting our kitchen this January and don't know whether to go with laminate cabinets or wood. What's the long-term difference? Short-term is obviously price.

Any advice?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,564 times
Another vote for wood. My 108 year old farmhouse has wood floors and we're very happy with them- obviously they're pretty durable too.
Things (and people) tend to bounce better with wood floors. They're warmer to the touch as well. If you go with something pre-finished, the surface is tougher and you're not stinkin' up the house with the smell of whatever finish you go with.

The corner sink.... I have one, have had it for years and mine has cabinets over it (can't recall if yours does or not) and I hate it. Wasted space behind it, hard to keep clean back there, dark recessed area and easy to smack your head on the uppers.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:46 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Wow, you sure have done a lot of work. Love the granite but haven't seen it in person. I would look for a neutral color in there and perhaps look into a subway tile. You don't want any thing that will take away from the granite.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 PM

63 posts, read 372,540 times
We went last weekend and picked out our slab and put down our deposit. One thing I had heard previously, but personally learned during this experience is that you need to go to the granite yard/warehouse, and choose your own slab! I was presented with 2 options from different lots. One was a deep black with lots of pearl in it, with a lot of motion/energy if you will, and the other slab had a bit of a green hue to it, with less pearl. To me, it was a night and day difference. Now, if I had never seen the first slab I may not have even thought about it. I ended up choosing the better looking slabs which were shorter, and needing a seam, vs. the longer slab where I could have gotten a seamless installation.

I will have quite a bit of leftover stone which I will be able to use in a bathroom project or something.

Agreed on a simple backsplash, I don't want the counter & backsplash fighting for attention.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:36 PM

63 posts, read 372,540 times
RE: Flooring

I have a little issue right now with my subflooring/support, as they are 2x8 joists, 16" OC, with an 11.5' span, with 5/8" plywood subfloor. John Bridge's forum 'deflectolator' says that I'm a bit too bouncy for a tile floor. I decided to go to Lowes, and got 5 boxes of the cheapest snap-click 'wood' look laminite flooring I could find, @ $10/box. I just wanted to get something to put down for now until I get my flooring situation resolved.

So, this way I will at least get to see how wood would look in there, if I would like it or not. And, I wouldn't need to worry about the floor support underneath...it's fine for wood.

A couple people though suggested that I check out Armstrong's vinyl tiles. I scoffed at the idea at first, but I checked them out anyways. They actually do not look too bad. Pricing is on-par with tile, maybe a little more.

Does anyone have any input on this stuff?

Vinyl Tile Flooring from Armstrong
Luxury Vinyl Flooring from Armstrong

I know my wife wants tile. To be honest, I could put anything in that was tile-looking and she would not know the difference. I also don't want to be accused of 'cheaping out' and putting in 'fake tile', mainly from a resale value point of view.

I've had linoleum floors in the past, and absolutely hated it. I'm sure this new stuff stands up much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House