Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times

Advertisements

I have a newly installed baseboard radiator that operates on steam. There is a small steam vent with a screw at the end of the radiator. My problem is that every time my boiler turns on, the radiator does not heat up, and I hear a thumping/gurgling noise coming from the radiator. If I then turn the screw on the vent to open it up, then close the vent, the radiator quickly heats up. The problem is, I have to do this every time the boiler turns on, otherwise I get no heat. The heating guy can't come out until next week so I figured I'd ask here in the meantime. Any ideas on what is causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 AM

62 posts, read 256,936 times
The radiator is improperly pitched and the condensate is not returning to the system.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think the water inside has to drain back down the pipe, like the above poster said, it is not pitched in the correct direction.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the water inside has to drain back down the pipe, like the above poster said, it is not pitched in the correct direction.
Yes, but the odd thing is that if I play around with the air vent long enough I can usually get the steam to flow after a while. Maybe the air vent is not working correctly. I'll mention the pitch issue when the heating company comes next week.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:13 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
You have to leave the vent open. When the radiator is cold it's full of air. Steam displaces air. It's got to go someplace - i.e. out the vent. Sounds to me like a bad vent.

The thumping/banging is probably bad pitch on the pipes. The condensate runs back to the boiler down the same pipe the steam comes up.

This assumes, of course, you have a one-pipe steam system. Sometimes installers foul up and put a vent on two-pipe steam radiation. That's another story. If it's not one-pipe, let us know.

Last edited by windtimber; 11-27-2009 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Added last 2 sentences.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Here is more information to add to my original post. I noticed over the past couple days that if the boiler stays running long enough, eventually my problematic baseboard heater will stop gurgling and get hot. I spoke to my heating guy yesterday and he thinks it is a problem with the air vent. But that still doesn't make sense because it is the same air vent that was being used on my original baseboard and it was working fine.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 11,163 times
Hi. I am new here and I don't know if Im in right forum. I need help with my radiator. I have this Iron cast radiator and has a small leak. I used the epoxy put out for iron cast, but it is not working and It says this is the only thing that will do the job, we have tried it so many times with no luck, my new laminate flooring got ruined from the water. anyone please help, what should I use as a qick ficks for my cast iron radiator????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House