Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 PM

88 posts, read 246,910 times

Advertisements

last week my hot water heater died so I called and had a plumber come the next day to replace it($850.00) Once it was installed,he waited for it to heat up and water shot out of the top of it,he said my pressure reducing valve was bad and replaced that and everything was ok till the next day.I would flush the toilit or turn on the water and it made an awful LOUD noise and the water heater was leaking from the bottom so he came back and changed valve again and it was ok till the neck day and again the loud noise when I turn on the water. I went a bought a new better valve and he is coming back tomorrow and I am gonna have him put the one I bought on and he is gonna replace the heater.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I am terrified each time I turn on my water,afraid pipes are gonna burst!
The plumber seems bafilled,The only thing I can think of is he is carrying a bad batch of water pressure reducing valves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmypets View Post
last week my hot water heater died so I called and had a plumber come the next day to replace it($850.00) Once it was installed,he waited for it to heat up and water shot out of the top of it,he said my pressure reducing valve was bad and replaced that and everything was ok till the next day.I would flush the toilit or turn on the water and it made an awful LOUD noise and the water heater was leaking from the bottom so he came back and changed valve again and it was ok till the neck day and again the loud noise when I turn on the water. I went a bought a new better valve and he is coming back tomorrow and I am gonna have him put the one I bought on and he is gonna replace the heater.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I am terrified each time I turn on my water,afraid pipes are gonna burst!
The plumber seems bafilled,The only thing I can think of is he is carrying a bad batch of water pressure reducing valves
Yes it does sound like a potential issue with high water pressure. Was this "pressure reducing valve" that is failing located outside in close proximity to the water meter? If you have a pressure reducing valve installed you should also have an expansion tank installed at the water heater. You can read about their purpose, and see pictures of some, here Thermal Expansion - Learn About - Watts.

In the past there have been suspect pressure reducing valves recalled but these should have been removed from the supply chain awhile ago. If you can provide a part number for the one installed we can check for potential issues with it. If you can provide a picture of it that would help as well.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Did the plumber check to see what the pressure was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House