Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
What is this? Something like this?

yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
What you are looking for is called "task lighting". In this case that can be one of two options, the recessed can lights or table lamps that reflect DOWN. You don't want "uplights". Uplights light the ceiling or even something on the wall like a piece of art. You want down lights. The recessed cans for task lighting or like what you find over your kitchen sink. They are pinpointed to be right in the area where the tasks are to be performed. Since getting enough task lights hardwired in might be out of the budget your best bet is to find adequate lamps to light the areas of your workspace. The torch lamps are for ambient lighting and not for tasks. Once you put in your work lamps you can move one of those torch lamps to a corner to have when you just want some light in the room and you are not working in there. Otherwise, the room would be too cluttered with a lot of fixtures and lights all at the same eye level. If you are wanting something small on a desk look for what is called a "bankers light":
Lite Source LS-224D/BRZ Banker 1 Light Dark Bronze Desk Lamp
These highlight a small workspace with plenty of light to work by. If you need more light than this then you want to go w/ larger lamps that are more for a end table.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Remember, anything you put on or in a high ceiling means a major job replacing bulbs or cleaning shades. After hanging my most recent high ceiling chandelier, my price now starts at $300, if a smooth job. Most homeowners don't want to keep a 16 or 18 foot ladder & you pay a fortune for someone to drag one out to change bulbs for you. Not that I mind making the $, but some customers then groan about it, like I'm supposed to to it for free. In some cases, a chandelier can be reached from a balcony with a pole. I've made them for customers, use a closet rod, long as needed, with an open hook screwed into one end. Pull light gently over to balcony, tie it off & replace bulbs. Easier if someone can help by holding it for you.

I don't like to put lights in stairwell ceilings for same reason. Means either a special ladder or scaffolding to access it. I like to put lights over the landings or on stairwell walls. Keep it simple.

I've been to some houses where an 18 foot ladder was needed, but was nearly impossible to get through the door & was very awkward to spread out & lock in place. Usually means 2 men just to handle the ladder. Collateral damage from a tall ladder in a tight space is always a risk.

Wall mounted track lights are a good option. Do area lighting with them, you can reach from a standard 6 foot ladder & adjust lamps as you move furniture, etc. Tall floor lamps are neat. We have a couple that we love. I have seen a few wall mounted lamps that can swivel out as much as 6 feet. Nice for reading lamps.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:38 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post

I think a fixture like this (not necessarily this style) that pivots & turns to any height or direction would work. Wall scones to light the dark spaces too.
I've seen a few wall mounted lamps that are similar to this, can swivel out from the wall in any direction.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
If you want to go on the cheap, we have a large-ish two story family room and still use a torche lamp. You need one with a little juice Ours takes two 150 watt bulbs, that we've replaced with 150w equivalent CFL's. Seems to work just fine for us, but not nearly as elegant.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
If the torchieres are light bulb based, put 160 equiv CFL in them.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If the torchieres are light bulb based, put 160 equiv CFL in them.

That's what I currently have but the ceilings are so tall that there isn't enough reflected light.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
That's what I currently have but the ceilings are so tall that there isn't enough reflected light.
The problem may also be a wall color issue. I use the lamps and also placed large mirrors in certain spots to reflect the light. You've got to think physics.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
The problem may also be a wall color issue. I use the lamps and also placed large mirrors in certain spots to reflect the light. You've got to think physics.
Mirrors and painting sounds more expensive and complicated than just finding a lighting solution that works. You've got to think practicality.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
.....than just finding a lighting solution that works.
Hiring an electrician makes it less expensive how??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House