U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 AM

246 posts, read 1,284,315 times

Advertisements

Got a couple of questions related to heating and cooling:

1. I was told by my home inspector to take out the fuse to the outdoor AC unit during the winter so it does not turn on when you turn the heat on? Is this correct and why; some have said its to prevent the AC fan from working with the declining temperatures (I live in Northern VA).

2. When I have the heat turned on with a thermostat, you can feel hot air blowing through the vents to reach the set temperature (this usually includes the AUX heat function blinking on the thermostat). However, once the set temperature is achieved, the fan keeps blowing, but the air is no longer hot. The air actually makes the room feel cooler? Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Thanks.

Novice HVAC guy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM

15,515 posts, read 57,979,643 times
Heat pump system? Or standard furnace-A/C system?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM

892 posts, read 2,991,508 times
Maybe a broken automatic damper?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Heat pump system? Or standard furnace-A/C system?
Good question....what is the difference. I would assume a heat pump system as I recalled that word being used. I do have a outdoor A/C unit as well that sits on a pad.

maybe you can define heat pump versus standard furnace for me. I should mention that when the AC was set over the summer, the fan did go off once the set temperature was met and would kick back on to cool once needed.

Like I said, novice HVAC guy

Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 PM

15,515 posts, read 57,979,643 times
I'll assume heatpump without going into a lot of detail because of the "aux heat function" disclosure.

Read through this:
Guide to Fan On Off Auto controls on air conditioning and heating thermostats
It may answer all your questions- and from the index you can read about heatpumps in general. And after reading you may want to reinstall the disconnect at the condenser unit. I wouldn't rely on aux heat as a primary- that defeats the purpose of a heatpump.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Has anyone have an idea on #1 of my original post. Also does anyone know where I can get a manual online for a Payne electric furnace model PF4MNA025 model. I am trying to figure out where the hot air furnace fan limit switch is. I took of the side panel and can't seem to find its location.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 AM

22,662 posts, read 23,323,298 times
No idea if it's the same thing but we had the same problem.
The cause was the way the thermostat was wired.
Is this a new problem with a unit that worked correctly before?
Ours was after installing a new thermostat

Old 12-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Unhappy Any ideas

Old cold, how did you figure this out. Did you have someone come out to rewire it. This was the way the unit was when I bought the place. Also, the AUX heat comes on as soon as the heat is turned on (regardless of whether I select "AUX" function on the thermostat or not. I usually put it on "Heat" and not AUX. Is this normal. I heard that AUX heat comes on only when there is not enough from the hot air furnace to generate the heat needed. Is this true.

I am so confused.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 AM

22,662 posts, read 23,323,298 times
Our setting were simple...........AC on/off.....Heat on/off .....and a separate button for Fan,automatic or Constant On.
If the fan was on Auto, we got no heat.
If on Constant we got heat but also cold air after the heat was no longer called for.
Yes, we had the people that installed it come out to see what was wrong and he knew immediately that the guy didn't wire it right. Simple fix.
Since we had just had it done it was a no-cost visit.
Perhaps you can check online for the correct wiring setup and do it yourself if you're comfortable with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House